Republic F-84F Thunderstreak Monogram 1/48

Post your completed aircraft here.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Republic F-84F Thunderstreak Monogram 1/48

Post by Gary Brantley »

This build goes back to 2012 I believe, and I really thought I had posted it here, but apparently I did not. So, here we go with another oldie!

Maybe it's my age, well, I was born in 1952 after all, but I really like the jets from the '50s. To me, they just look like a jet fighter is supposed to. It seems that to aircraft designers back then, there was no limit to their imagination. Some of the most beautiful fighters(the Hawker Hunter comes to mind!) were born then and no computer calculations determined that. For many it seems that if it looked "right" then it was!

This is another of the "good" Monogram kits I think. It's possible to make a real nice model out of this old bird. I originally bought this kit back in the late 1980s(!) and it sat in the stash for years. When I did finally get around to building it, I tried an experiment of sorts. I primed the bottom side in a dark gray, and then sprayed the light gray over that. Then, I gently sanded away the lighter color over the raised panel lines. It turned out pretty much as I wanted, but the pics I've taken show it to be much dirtier that I'd like. Oh well, that's how it goes with builders of "four-footers" such as myself. I really like the looks of the Thunderstreak and yes, I do know about its shortcomings as a service aircraft. Still, it's a sleek, swept-wing beauty to me and I love how it looks parked with it's 1950's peers. :cool:

The kit dates back to 1984 and its detail must've been somewhat state of the art back then. I have seen examples on the web that are really outstanding. I finished mine in the three color camo seen on these birds near the end of their use. This one represents an aircraft of the Texas Air Guard. I used Humbrol 116 enamel for the darker green, Humbrol 117 for the lighter green, Model Master Tan for the third color. The underside was done in Model Master camo gray. All of the upper colors were lightened with Humbrol satin white to get a faded look. The decals are a combination of aftermarket and kit choices. The seat harnesses are from an Eduard set for an F-104 if I recall correctly. I figured close enough for government work! The characteristic insulation around the canopy framing is EZ Mask vinyl stripes and I used EZ Masks to paint the canopy too. The canopy support arms gave no end of trouble and I redid them several times, finally achieving the most tenuous attachment to the canopy. The arms should be more vertical but damn, I was just tired of fooling with it and left it as is. We'll just say the hydraulics are leaking a bit, :lol:

The model has many flaws, as do most of mine I guess. But I love seeing it in my "gallery" of 1950's planes. As usual, I photographed her our little Cameron airport. So, after all this while, here's my Republic F-84F Thunderstreak. Thanks for taking a look at her! :grin:

Gary

LyleW
Admin

Re: Republic F-84F Thunderstreak Monogram 1/48

Post by LyleW »

A fine looking old bird. Yes, I meant the airplane…
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Man the Thunderstreak looks so good in that Camo - a superb build Gary. The cockpit looks good and the drak grey under light grey idea of doing those panel lines works well!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
TheMongoose
Advanced Member

Post by TheMongoose »

Super realistic against that background!!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I remember that old Monogram Thunderstreak from my youth years. She's a looker indeed!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Nice job, and I love the outdoor pics.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Fabulous looking build Gary! You really nailed it on this one. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
I have seen that technique of sanding the paint off of the raised detail once before. I really like how it looks on your build of this Thunderstreak.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Well done, Gary, I hope it still looks that nice today.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

LyleW wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:42 pm A fine looking old bird. Yes, I meant the airplane…
:lol: Oh, I know what you really meant. :grin: And yes, that old bird could be looking better. :wink: But, thanks for the vote Lyle, much appreciated Mr. Man! :grin:
Stuart wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:17 pm Man the Thunderstreak looks so good in that Camo - a superb build Gary. The cockpit looks good and the drak grey under light grey idea of doing those panel lines works well!
Stuart, thanks so much for those comments! Very kind of you mate! :bow:
TheMongoose wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:55 pm Super realistic against that background!!
Thanks Mongoose! The airport does add so much to how the models present, and probably makes them look better than they are. :grin:
BlackSheep214 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:05 pm I remember that old Monogram Thunderstreak from my youth years. She's a looker indeed!
It is a venerable old kit, but still does the job. Thanks Tom!
keavdog wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:09 pm Nice job, and I love the outdoor pics.
Thank you John! It's hard to beat that natural light, plus having an actual airport in the background can't hurt either. It was thoughtful of the city of Cameron to build that for me. :wink: :grin:
Stikpusher wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:57 pm Fabulous looking build Gary! You really nailed it on this one. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
I have seen that technique of sanding the paint off of the raised detail once before. I really like how it looks on your build of this Thunderstreak.
Thanks Carlos! I appreciate that so much sir. :bow: You know, the more I look at those old photos, I start thinking I'll try that technique out again on raised panel detail. I think with a bit more care, it can be made to work better. :hmm:
jeaton01 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:42 pm Well done, Gary, I hope it still looks that nice today.
Thanks John! It does look now exactly as it did then. :grin: Once they go into the cabinet, they only get moved for dusting, and that usually results in some sort of damage to aerials, pitots, etc.to a least one model. So far, so good with the old Thunderstreak! :grin:
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

God I love this.

Return to “Completed Builds”