Stik's Workshop

Show us where you work and what kits you have.
-Latest Acquisitions
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Re: Stik's Workshop

Post by tempestjohnny »

Garage looks great

I'm so glad that I have enough room in the house for bench and display in our home office. Here its not so much the heat its the humidity.
But the previous owner of my house did put a mini split in the garage
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

That's a good work space Carlos! Having the a/c gives you a true year-round place to work; great plan there! :shoutout:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

John, the garage will get hot in the summer. Those vents to let out exhaust fumes from the cars let in the hot air. The insulation may tamp it down a bit, but without some AC in there it will easily get over 100* in there.

TJ, I hear ya about having the bench indoors. But since I still do use lots of enamels and lacquer thinners, I prefer to keep those fumes out in the garage. Not to mention the noise from my dual use compressor. Humidity is rarely an issue around here aside from during the summer monsoon.

Thanks Gary. One other nice feature that I found with the AC is that it also can warm up the garage, which came in handy during the cold snap that we had here this past winter. So yes, truly comfy and optimal work temps in there year round. Some folks don't realize how cold the desert can get at night or early morning in the winter months.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Yes but you guys have a dry heat. Here it's hot as balls and then we add 100% humidity.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Medicman71 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:51 am Here it's hot as balls and then we add 100% humidity.
Keeps out the riff-raff. :lol:
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Unfortunately I don't think it's working.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I remember the first time I flew in to Houston. I went there to look at an air compressor ( 1300cfm type for well drilling). I thought it was a fog type undercast from about 3000 feet to the ground, but no, it was just so humid you could only see about 2 miles once you got down into it. The fellow who picked me up at the airport had a broken air conditioner, and there was so much rust and corrosion on the compressor I went to look at that I could practically see through it. A quick ride back to the airport and I cranked up the Travel Air and got out of there. I guess us California types are just wimps. I spent quite a bit of time in Abilene and the Ft. Worth/Dallas area but Houston is a thing of its own weatherwise.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Medicman71 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:41 pm
Gary Brantley wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:39 pm

Keeps out the riff-raff. :lol:
Unfortunately I don't think it's working.
No, sadly, you're so right. :wub:

I once read a quote, said "If Texas was tilted on its side, everything that wasn't tied down would go to Houston". When I was in high school, '76-'71, Houston was the place to go for high-paying jobs after graduation. The downside was you had to move there. :wink:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

After spending time on the east side of the Red River at Ft Polk, Houston was not bad at all… lol! And California west of the desert felt almost cold in July/August by comparison… and compared to the Mohave desert in summer, well it was the proverbial dry heat as opposed to the swamps & bayous :whistle:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

"Tigerland"? :grin: My cousin Thomas had a lot to say about basic training there... :wink: :lol:

Return to “Your Work Bench and Stash”