Das Boot

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
Stikpusher

Re: Das Boot

Post by Stikpusher »

I know that you see all the flaws in your own work. But man, I just see pure artistry. Fabulous work, flaws or not. :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

That is mighty impressive work, Steve! :bow:
SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Thank you, Stik and Gary, mucho apreciado! We are always our worst critic, aren't we? Lol
Give Blood, Play Rugby, cause everyone knows football is for wimps!

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

SteveSki wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:34 am We are always our worst critic, aren't we? Lol
Exactly. :wink:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

:wink:

SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

2nd Lieutenant on the Deck

Moving right along with the second figure completed, I do see a few more issues to address, so those will be added to the punch list as well. Once again, I forgot to snap a few photos during the process, oops. Sometimes I get on a roll and just get too far along. Note to self, take pics!

Image Image

The jacket has a slightly more bluish tone than the Capt.’s coat, but a slight variation is not a bad thing. I really did not like covering up the eyes on this figure, but that couldn’t be helped. One note, these binos do not align with the eyes and there is no real way to correct that issue, so it stays.

Image Image

Image Image

Ok, two down, three more to go, and I better keep it rolling along, and take pics, too. Thanks for watchin.

Cheers, Ski.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Simply outstanding work! :shoutout:

FLSM
SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Tanks, Stik!

SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

1st Lieutenant is now on Deck

The third figure to this set is now on the shelf until the final punch list. I see more work needed on the back of the coat, but for the most part, the 1st Lt. is looking ok.

Since winter prep is taking a lot of time right now, I grabbed an old CD case cover and placed that on top of the figure to keep the dust off, but also to slow down the drying process just a little. I have also placed the figures into the refer, it works the same. My oils go in the freezer after each session, so cold is good for oils.

Well, I did snap a few in-progress pics, but not from the beginning, oops. At any rate, the process hasn’t changed. Things are looking very glary right now making it sometimes hard to catch all the weak spots.

Image Image

The final pics for now with Dull Coat and the hair dryer to finish him off until later. I added the bino strap and eliminated the flaps that would normally have been flopping around his neck. I really didn’t see them as necessary and who would miss them anyway?

Image Image

Image Image

Ok, off to work Lt. Werner. Thanks for watching and more to follow soon.

Cheers, Ski.

SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Lt. Werner Joins the Crew

Four down, one to go, as Lt. Werner is now ready for deck duty. This is the last figure wearing the heavy rain coat and hat. The fifth figure, Chief Engineer Fritz, has a life jacket and other clothing, plus goggles. As mentioned earlier while doing the last three figures, nothing has changed in the approach to painting this uniform. Once you’re in the groove, keep it rolling as best as you can.

I’m not exactly happy with how deep the eye sockets are and I should have addressed that issue long ago. There was room for improvement, I just didn’t do it. I am taking that under advisement, lol.

A closer look at all the figures together shows a definite blue tone to this particular rain jacket and hat. It was something I tried to address and tone down, so it’s no longer overly pronounced now. He should be good to go. There will usually be a slight variation due to wear and tear and how new a uniform may be compared to any other crew member. Lt. Werner was a guest on board, so his gear was more than likely new, especially being a correspondent for the Reich. I like the tones, personally, so it will remain.

Image Image

Image Image

Working in this scale is a lot of fun when painting coats and trousers, especially if there is great definition. The tones just pop when the oils are blended from shadow to highlight, and IMHO, this set is no exception.

Also, the signal lamp has been painted and weathered, but I have not taken photos of it yet. There’s a few details that need to be addressed, but the lamp will appear in the final photos.

Lt. Werner has been set aside while I start on Chief engineer Fritz. Thanks for watching and holler if you see anything that needs to be addressed.

Cheers, Ski.

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”