Das Boot

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: Das Boot

Post by KSaarni »

Holy Malony!

Amazing details, amazing paintwork !

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Thank you, Gentlemen!
Give Blood, Play Rugby, cause everyone knows football is for wimps!

SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Contrast and Depth

Well, I was going to start Number One’s face, but had an itch to continue to adjust Lt. Werner’s details for depth and contrast. The beard looks a bit on the light side, but that will be toned down. I know the character Lt. Werner actually has more of a red tone to his hair, but I like the blonde tone much better on this figure. Who knows, this may change yet again. Also, the eyes are bit off, but that will be adjusted later.

Image Image

To get an idea of how Lt. Werner will look in his dark rain coat I went ahead and added a base tone to the rest of the figure. For the rain coat I Used Tamiya’s XF-63 German Grey and a mix of XF-8 Flat Blue and XF-2 Flat White for the jacket and trousers. This particular mix was left over from my initial Sub Gun Deck crew paint session and I prefer the slight bluish tone rather than the light grey. The scarf was given a coat of Red Brown XF-64.

I will make small adjustments to the face as time goes along, but for now, Lt. Werner will stand aside until all the rest of the figures have reached this stage. I prefer to keep the momentum going when painting faces and not get sidetracked if at all possible.

More to follow soon. Cheers, Ski.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:popcorn:

Just enjoying the show here. If you do choose to go with the rad hair that the actor had, what color(s) would you use for that?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Most certainly a mellow mix with just a touch of cadmium red and the lighter orangish tones. I'll dab a little oil on the palette to see what looks appropriate. If anything, it would tint what's on his mug right now. I still need to add his eyebrows, too.

SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Number One

Well, this may not actually be Number One, second in command, because that poor kid couldn’t grow facial hair to save his life, so it was more than likely an NCO or another Second Lieutenant. At any rate, he’s Number One for now.

Now that most of the rough-in facial work has been done there’s quite a bit more touch up needed, but that will be done later. The hands are still very rough in appearance, much has to do with the casting. It’s a very delicate area to try to clean up without breaking nearly every finger, so I will be doing my best to hide the deficiencies. Seam lines on the fingers is not what you would expect from a top line producer, but here they are. If it’s not seam lines, its serious slag, and it was not a fun process to get it even this far along. Onward and forward, right?

Just as I did with the first figure, I painted the trousers and coat a bluish grey base tone for perspective and dark tan on the boots. I still need to add red tones to the face, but for now I’m moving on to the Second Lieutenant figure.

It’s a shame this face is partially covered by the left hand, because this face has great features that could be better exposed. The next figure has a pair binos in his face, so his details will be obstructed as well. Heavy wind and water splash would make me cover my ugly mug too, I recon, HA!

More to follow and thanks for watching. Cheers, Ski.

cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Amazing work. My hat's off to you figure painters :bow:
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Your figures look like classic oil painting brought to life in 3-D artwork. Number One looks great!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow! Just wow!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

cbaltrin wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:22 am Amazing work. My hat's off to you figure painters :bow:
Thank you!
Stikpusher wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:50 am Your figures look like classic oil painting brought to life in 3-D artwork. Number One looks great!
Thanks, Stik, I'm tryin.
Medicman71 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:46 pm Wow! Just wow!
Lol, thanks, Man!

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”