AMT 1970 Corvette LT-1-Interior Startup-10/05

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
mustang1989

AMT 1970 Corvette LT-1-Interior Startup-10/05

Post by mustang1989 »

I broke out of the slump as of late with a car that I've wanted to build for a very long time. A late 60's / early 70's Vette. This kit has a few pitfalls that affect the stance and wheel/ tire position but there are corrections that can be made and I'll be pointing those out. I'll be painting this one Brockhampton Blue and we'll be retaining the LT-1 350 small block for the car. The only external changes that'll be made are to the stance and wheel locations and I'll be going with BF-Goodrich T/A radials. I'll be going with Bridgehampton Blue for the color on this ride.

I started by black basing the engine:

I also used a double pumper Holley from Shapeways and I had an AC Delco decal in stock for the oil filter. Here's the block in base build form with the color applied.

As I always do, I bought a spare kit so I could build one up and make modifications to the suspension and stance. I usually tend to screw something up along the way so I use two kits for almost every build. Its come in handy more than one time.

Stance and wheel/tire location relative to wheel openings before:

and after the modifications:

After the suspension mods I turned my attention back to the engine:

Here's after the addition of the distributor housing, spark plug wires, rocker covers and exhaust manifolds:

Stikpusher

Re: AMT 1970 Corvette LT-1

Post by Stikpusher »

Great subject choice. I always prefer the 70's era 'Vettes with the rounded flare over the wheels.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I'm right there with you on that. I most certainly did NOT get into the C4 design. I'm not sure what GM was thinking at that point in Vette progression. The C3's always held my attention and interest because of all the curves.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Excellent progress Joe. The C4 had the 80's written all over it. Then the performance sucked too. Started getting beat out by Buick with a 6 cylinder

When I was in my early 20's I worked at the Corvette Center. Mostly doing body work but some mechanical too. I fell in love with the 63-67 Stingrays. What a cool looking beast
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I'm a fan of the C6 Z06 - first year w/o the hideaway headlights. But mostly because my buddy had one and he let me drive it :dancing:

Thanks,
John
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

Looks great Joe. Yeah the GMC cyclone pickup was faster than a Corvette of the same year.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

tempestjohnny wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:00 am Excellent progress Joe. The C4 had the 80's written all over it. Then the performance sucked too. Started getting beat out by Buick with a 6 cylinder

When I was in my early 20's I worked at the Corvette Center. Mostly doing body work but some mechanical too. I fell in love with the 63-67 Stingrays. What a cool looking beast
One thing that you do have to keep in mind is that a 3800 with a turbo charger is a force to be reckoned with. It is funny how it beat a Vette out though. Just goes to show how heavy and underpowered the Vettes of those years were though.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

midnightprowler wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:25 pm Looks great Joe. Yeah the GMC cyclone pickup was faster than a Corvette of the same year.
Thanks Lee. Same goes for an all wheel drive mini truck with a turbo on it......those things were wicked fast.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

That's a cool Vette for sure. Unfortunately I've had to watch one have an engine fire. The owner was NOT pleased that we put water on the fire. Go figure.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks fellas. I managed to get the engine completed. After toying around with the air filter element some, I decided to go with a upc bar code printed up and cut to fit.

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”