Holy Grail -- Part Deux?

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Holy Grail -- Part Deux?

Post by Medicman71 »

Stikpusher wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:37 pm
Medicman71 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:43 pm So at Nationals, Tamiya was asking just that. I want the Hornet/Super Hornet family and an A-10C, both in 1/48.
I'm really surprised that Tamiya has not yet expanded their 1/48 Phantom line beyond their B kit. With a new wing & cockpit they can do the C & D, change the radome by removing the undergoes IR sensor, burner cans, and cockpit again, and they can do the J... with a few more changes the Brit K & M Spey engined Phantoms are possible.
Yeah I don't understand that either. They switched to the F-35.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well, the F-35 is the new international western strike fighter for the 21st century and will become more and more numerous and important as time goes on. It's a wise move to cover the -35 on Tamiya's part. At the very least for the Japanese market, as it is their newest ride.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

In 1/72 scale I'd really like new tool

A-1 Hasegawa is good but really hard to find
A-7 Fujimi is good but...getting old in the tooth.
Viggen
Mirage family III,5,50 & a IV
Eduard to shrink their P-51

48th Tamiya needs to re-release the P-47M and a late D with dorsal fillet
Hasegawa or Tamiya need early war Japanese Ki-48, Ki-30, Ki-32
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Well, I'm going to go a different route with this. My "Holy Grail" kits are quite numerous, starting with:

1/24-1/25 scale Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car. I've wanted one since the movie came out all those decades ago, especially with wings that extend and collapse.

...in 1/72 scale, the following:

Aircraft:

C-5A Galaxy
C-141 Starlifter both stretched and original

in Armor:

M-47 Patton
Ontos
Gepard AA gun
M107 and M110 Self Propelled Guns

In 1/500-1700 scale, the following ships:

Italian Aircraft Carrier Guiseppi Garibaldi
British Carrier Queen Elizabeth class (newest one with two bridges)
Russian Sverdlov, Kashin, Kresta, Kirin, and Kara class cruisers.

Those just to name a few.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

It is interesting to see the shift in the content in threads of this theme, from mostly things that never exited in injection mold kits to where there is much more "I wish we had a better example of something that has already been done" now.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

If a subject has been done repeatedly, that is a bit tedious. Yeah I know that another Zero, Mustang, or 109 will sell well, if it is the latest iteration with even better detail and ease of assembly. But seriously, there are so many interesting wide serving subjects that are covered nowhere near as well, and could likely sell well by addressing gaps in subjects. Particularly if they don't cost an arm, leg, and gonad.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Glamdring
Advanced Member

Post by Glamdring »

There are always new products in development, but the oldies definitely hold a soft spot.

I had my eyes on this when I saw it a couple months ago, It's an Israeli SPH on an Oshkosh chassis. Everyone seems to be making these wheeled arty vehicles now, and they are all bad ass looking!
aka Robert

"I can't get ahead no matter how hard I try, I'm gettin' really good at barely gettin' by"
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Stikpusher wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:39 pm If a subject has been done repeatedly, that is a bit tedious.
There are some who say fighter development should have stopped with the F-86 and Mig-15. Perhaps then P-51D mold cutting should have stopped with the Monogram kit. Certainly I could build those and be happy. However, the other part of me always wants to see what is possible today. I guess also a 'new' 1/48 Tamiya P-51D would run around $50 USD, so maybe I should just be happy with the Airfix kit... I am not compromising of my 1/72 SLUF dream though :tease:
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well, I don’t think that the A-7 has been overdone. I don’t know what’s out there in 1/72, as I haven’t built that scale in decades, and I dont follow the releases there. But in 1/48 it’s a pretty thin playing field.
I love what Airfix is doing right now. They saw that new tool RAF subjects were sadly lacking, and they have been filling the gaps in that area. Yeah, it’s nice that they also revamped some of their old stand by’s such as the Hurricane, Stuka, and Spitfire, but then a Bolton Paul Defiant? And for way less than the old limited run multi media Classic Airframes kit? Yes please! I’m keeping my fingers crossed that a 1/48 Fairey Battle is on their drawing board, but not holding my breath…

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I had always loved the look of the Defiant despite it's record. It was the first modern Airfix kit I did and it was awesome - love what they're doing
Thanks,
John

Return to “Modeling Discussion”