Border 1/35 Focke Wulf Fw190A-5 Nowotny Double Chevron

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

Border 1/35 Focke Wulf Fw190A-5 Nowotny Double Chevron

Post by jkim »

The Hien build is complete and I want to start a new project.  The Infinity D3A1 build is being shelved for the time being.  It's in good shape but I don't have the will to complete the rivet removal process at the moment.  I have the Laminar Flow Design XIVe conversion for the Tamiya Spitfire XVIe kit but I'm a little unsure about the specifics of the different XIVe variants and l want to follow other builds to educate myself before I start mine.  And I just received the Italeri Mc.202 Folgore kit.  It looks like a fun and interesting kit but there is already an excellent Folgore build just started over at LSP and I don't want to be redundant.

So... I've decided to start on the Border 1/35 Focke-Wulf (aka Messerschmitt) Fw190A-6.  It's about as close to a quick, out-of-box build that I can get being in a unique scale for aircraft.  I was really intrigued by this model when I saw the sprue shots and I've always liked this scheme...

Walter Nowotny's Fw 190A-5 Double Chevron Werk Number 410004

I've seen some references to this aircraft as an A-6.  Regardless of what this aircraft actually was, I am going to take a certain track, based on the kit plastic, and not be too hung up on complete accuracy.

Let's take a look at the sprues. It's as educational to me as it is to you and helps me get acquainted with the kit parts.  First up is the wing sprue.

I was interested in this kit when I first saw the sprue shots. I was really impressed with the crispness of the moldings. And that's been verified now that I have the kit in hand. Very impressive molding.

Note the underwing gun bulges that are specific to the A-6 variant. If you look at the photos of Nowotny's machine, there is no evidence of these outboard guns. The A-5 outer gun panels are a little different than the A-6 but still feature bulges, which I do not see in the photograph of Double Chevron.

This sprue, C, holds the fuselage halves.

Panel lines are recessed and rivets have been molded, indicating kindship with its Trumpeter and Hobby Boss brethren. However, the rivet detail is noticeably finer than what I found on the Trumpeter P-47D kit.

Molding is super crisp throughout, with super sharp edges everywhere, which will make painting that much easier

The engine cowling has molded detail on both the outer and inner surfaces.

The landing gear legs look good. The Border plastic is on the softer side so I hope that these skinny legs will be sturdy enough.

Sprue G has cockpit components and some exterior stuff like the one-piece prop.

Great detail on the prop hub!

Details on the cockpit tub are excellent too.

I really like how Border molded the upper instrument panel.

Better than the noticeably softer version that Zoukei Mura provide on their 1/32 Ta152 kits.

To be continued...
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Re: Border 1/35 Focke Wulf Fw190A-5 Nowotny Double Chevron

Post by jkim »

Two copies of Sprue D are provided.

I love the extra detailing on the engine parts.

Only one style of wheel/tire is provided.

Due to the slide molding technique used, the gun barrels are round in cross-section and have hollowed out ends.

Sprue H has most of the engine components.

The BMW 801D is beautifully rendered.

Unlike previous Fw 190A kits, there is considerable engine detail behind the cylinders.

Another example of using slide molding to add hollow tips to the exhausts.

The clear parts are thankfully clear, which didn't seem to be the case on some early production samples.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

With the sprue tour out of the way, I can show you what I've started on. As I mentioned before, Nowtony's Double Chevron does not appear to have the outer guns. And I don't see any indication of the bulges that would be associated with either the A-5 or A-6 wing. The Border kit has the outer guns with the A-6 type covers with bulges on the wing bottom.

My approach, right or wrong, will be to remove the outer guns, flattening both the wing panel and the barrel fairing on the leading edge. So first, I'm going to fill in the recesses with putty. I couldn't find Milliput at my local hobby store so I opted for Apoxie Sculpt, which is a similar 2-part epoxy.

The depressions for the wing bulge and leading edge fairing were filled from the inside with putty. Once this is dry, I will begin grinding the bulge and fairing down. Of particular note on these photos is the visible grain of the plastic. The surface of the parts has a subtle but distinct pebbly grain to it. It is not perfectly smooth. I don't think this will be an issue after a few coats of paint but it's worth noting.

I've also started on the BMW 801 engine by gluing the cylinder bank halves together. At this point, I am wondering if I should add ignition wiring. The spark plug leads on the fronts of the cylinders are tiny. Because of the tight cowling and the cooling fan, the view of the engine from the front is virtually non-existent.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:popcorn:

I don't remember seeing you build any 190A's before... Only D's... :hmm: This kit looks gorgeous with all the mold detail quality.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I've got a 1/48 Eduard Fw-190 in my stash.

1/35 scale gotta be a tad smaller than 1/32 scale...
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Stikpusher wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:00 pm :popcorn:

I don't remember seeing you build any 190A's before... Only D's... :hmm: This kit looks gorgeous with all the mold detail quality.
Yup, that is the case. I figured I needed to build at least a couple of Antons in my lifetime. Missed out on the Revell 190A-8 but had a Hasegawa 190A-8 on the shelf that was in the queue. I jumped on this one because of the perceived molding quality. Not sure about accuracy but have not read anything negative about it like I have the other Border 1/35 aircraft releases.
BlackSheep214 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:26 pm I've got a 1/48 Eduard Fw-190 in my stash.

1/35 scale gotta be a tad smaller than 1/32 scale...
It doesn't seem like it would be much smaller but I can definitely feel the difference.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

From what I read Border was also involved with the tooling for Wingnut so it should be a good kit.
I can understand the appeal of 1/35, same as the armour scale. But I am not sure if there is enough overlap of armour and aircraft modellers to justify a whole range of 1/35 models. I think it will remain a bit of a niche, like 1/48 armour.
ImageImageImageImageImage
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

After the Apoxie Sculpt has cured, I can start grinding down the gun opening fairing and gun panel bulge using a rotary tool and power sander.

I took it nice and slow and tried to be careful but still managed to gouge out a small area behind the gun fairing inadvertently.

So I had to fill that area with Black CA, sand and re-scribe.

For this type of work, it helps to have the right tools. The David Union D300 rotary tool quickens the grinding process and the D400 sander helps keep the work surface nice and flat.

Here are the two wing gun positions after the grinding/sanding process.

A light spray of Mr Primer Surfacer 1000 to check my work.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Nice project! Between the A-5 and A-6 versions not too much changed that is noticable on the outside of the plane (see text from ipmsstockholm.org below).
W.Nr. 410004 was an A-5 and was shot down over Germany on January 4, 1944 with its pilot 1st Lieutenant Otto Vinzent getting killed (source: Focke-Wulf Fw 190 Volume 2 1943-44, Smith/Creek).
The missing outer cannons may go back on a special request by Nowotny. Some aces preferred a lighter weapon setup to keep up with the agile Allied fighters.
Fw 190A-6
The main difference of this variant from the previous was the standardized mounting of MG 151/20 E cannons. For this to be possible, it was necessary to redesign the wing for the heavier cannon mount and carriage of a larger ammunition box. Experience obtained during Fw 190A-5/U9 and U10 tests was incorporated in this type. Reinforcements and sockets were made in such a way that serially produced wings would be adapted for internal installation of either 20 or 30 mm cannon ammunition boxes or for installation of underwing armament with the ammunition box installed inside the wing. Proper electrical connections were also provided for the cannons.
The manufacturer started serial production of the FuG 16 ZE radio with an additional radial antenna for radio navigation purposes placed under the rear fuselage. This antenna was used also in the some A-5 planes.
Standard Fw 190A-6 armament consisted of 2x1 MG 17 machine guns and 4x1 MG 151/20 E cannons. Some planes mounted ETC 501 bomb racks for transportation of an additional fuel tank (300 l capacity), these were not distinguished by separate designation.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BorgR3mc0 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:30 pm From what I read Border was also involved with the tooling for Wingnut so it should be a good kit.
I can understand the appeal of 1/35, same as the armour scale. But I am not sure if there is enough overlap of armour and aircraft modellers to justify a whole range of 1/35 models. I think it will remain a bit of a niche, like 1/48 armour.
I think the best thing about 1/35 aircraft kits is that the wide variety of available ground vehicles can be added with them for vignettes or dioramas. 1/32 has much slimmer pickings for the same type of vehicles. Most likely it will remain a niche like 1/48 armor is currently, But hopefully an expanding one like 1/48 armor.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”