Monogram P-51D from 1977

LyleW
Admin

Monogram P-51D from 1977

Post by LyleW »

I have to start a new six month period to complete two kits. I mistakenly thought that October 6 was my end date, But based upon the start of the 102 it would have been August 3rd. Oops. So, I cannot accept the "made" badge until I complete another kit by April 6, 2024.

This is the kit I've chosen. It, too, is from 1977.

The decals look pretty good.....but they are old.

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Re: Monogram P-51D from 1977

Post by Gary Brantley »

That's a good one, Lyle! :grin: I built that same kit back in 1989 and it's still one I've never photographed. Coincidentally, I have another of that kit opened up now for a Latin American Mustang build. I don't think they're a bad kit at all and can be done quite nicely with some work. Watch out for a poor fit of the lower engine cowling. There is usually quite a gap there to deal with. :grin:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

?That lower cowling is attrocious. I had another of these started a while back and trashed it. That cowling had a lot to do with it. You don't have a spare spinner laying around do you? Don't ask.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Ya gotta love those oldie Monogram kits of 70s. I know I did as a kid.

We didn't care about accuracies and fit issues back then. :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:00 am Ya gotta love those oldie Monogram kits of 70s. I know I did as a kid.

No joke. :grin: I've been doing some scale model archaeology lately, digging through what's left of my old model car kits from '65-'69 period. All of the car models are in pieces and some have more intact parts than others, but all of them have gobs of glue and just terrible construction techniques. :headslap: I've been doing a lot of head shakin' as I dig through the remains. And, I remember being quite proud of my results back then. :whistle: I either threw away a large part or its just unfindable now, but all of my scratch-built funny car chassis are gone and both my '37 Chevy and Anglia gassers are nowhere to be found now. Also, I can't find my AMT aftermarket Allison V-12 either, although I did come across my Chrysler gas-turbine engine!

I'm sort of planning a "model car graveyard"-type post pretty soon, with the remains of the ancient wrecks. I have a bunch of old car engines to display. I did find pieces of all three Ford GTs from back then; the original GT, the Mk II and Mk IV J-Car; I probably have enough parts and pieces to actually piece together one car from the pile...but don't expect that to happen! :lol:

And, Lyle, no spare spinner, I did check for you! Sorry mate! :grin:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:00 am Ya gotta love those oldie Monogram kits of 70s. I know I did as a kid.

so true.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I was wondering about you timespan on the last one. Your honesty is appreciated for a reset of the clock.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

did I say two weeks? I meant two months! :whistle:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Seams are my favorite thing.

The lower cowling is in place, shimmed behin it which helped a lot. But alas, when it was un-taped, seams. So a bit more thin plastic stockcemented in and some PPP.

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Well, some dumb guy at some point decided to try cutting the flaps out of one side of the wing. I wonder why I did that. Anyway, upon further inspections, ain't gonna happen, so we put it back together and have a Mustang with flaps retracted on the ground. Heresy, I know.

gun bay.

Return to “W.I.P. Monogram Mafia”