Monogram P-51D from 1977

cbaltrin
Master Member

Re: Monogram P-51D from 1977

Post by cbaltrin »

LyleW wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:33 am Anyway, upon further inspections, ain't gonna happen, so we put it back together and have a Mustang with flaps retracted on the ground. Heresy, I know.
Don't sweat it Lyle. There are lots of photos of mustangs that have flaps (and inner gear doors) fully up.
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks for those! Good to know.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

The gear doors and flaps bled down after hydraulic pressure was lost. Lots of pics showing half way bleed down and still up. My Hasegawa P-51's all have flaps up
Brandons_Iron
Advanced Member

Post by Brandons_Iron »

Seems like I was told or read somewhere that there was a valve or something that could be used to prevent the bleed down when shut off. I may be remembering nothing at all, but that's what my brain says I've heard. Who knows if I'm right, I don't.
BrandonK

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

What went wrong with the flap cut out Lyle? Was it the missing forward portion? I bet that could easily be scratched from some sprue or tube styrene of the proper diameter.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Most likely the hidden part of the upper flap under the wing/fuselage fairing would be my guess...
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Guys, I have no idea. I do not even remember doing it. But, the forward edge would take far more work than I am willing to put into this old girl. Somewhere way back in a time long ago, Fermis gave me some good tips on fixing that when cutting out flaps. it iwas on another mustang.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Sounds like you're having a lot of fun with this one Lyle! I have all of this to look forward when I build mine - I have the same boxing!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

"Fun" might be an overstatement on this old girl. But....

Been chipping away at it. I am, actually, pretty happy with the red accents and the yellow nose. Tamiya rattle cans, Bright Red, Yellow and Bare Metal Silver. Still have the OD anti glare to do on the nose. I hoped against hope that the horizontal stabs would bit more cleanly than they did....hence the PP that is clearly visible.

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's cleaned up nicely Lyle - it's looking sharp. Are you doing 'Detroit Miss'?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “W.I.P. Monogram Mafia”