Monogram P-51D from 1977

LyleW
Admin

Re: Monogram P-51D from 1977

Post by LyleW »

Thank you gentlemen.

There are paint issues, self inflicted for the most part. . .caused by multiple masking/unmasking sessions. She’s got more paint than Tammy Faye Bakker in makeup!

Stuart, up close there are warts. Horizontal stabs do not join cleanly, lower cowling the same, wing roots not as badm but it is there. That damn antenna and the tailwheel both came free and have been glued. I resorted to using baking soda with CA to strengthen the joins. The canopy and windscreen fit pretty well. Pretty big step at the forward edge of the bottom wing join, and on and on, and on.

I ended up getting another kit for some parts, e ded up using those decals. Both sets came of the backing, no problems which surprised me, but the “original” set did not want to stick, even with Solvaset.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Despite the issues, this turned out quite well. You are doing excellent Lyle and I commend you on getting another one over the line.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, Mark.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Looks good Lyle. It's one of my favorite Monogram kits actually, but it's probably not for someone looking for a quick build.
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Lyle it's time to:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/d-diB65scQU[/youtube]
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:48 pm Thank you gentlemen.

There are paint issues, self inflicted for the most part. . .caused by multiple masking/unmasking sessions. She’s got more paint than Tammy Faye Bakker in makeup!

Stuart, up close there are warts. Horizontal stabs do not join cleanly, lower cowling the same, wing roots not as badm but it is there. That damn antenna and the tailwheel both came free and have been glued. I resorted to using baking soda with CA to strengthen the joins. The canopy and windscreen fit pretty well. Pretty big step at the forward edge of the bottom wing join, and on and on, and on.

I ended up getting another kit for some parts, e ded up using those decals. Both sets came of the backing, no problems which surprised me, but the “original” set did not want to stick, even with Solvaset.
Thanks for the heads up Lyle!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

And, I could not get the drop tanks to seat and stay in place.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LOL! So other than that it was perfect! :giggles:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

A real nice clean build, Lyle. Well done! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

That looks pretty good, Lyle! :shoutout: You finished her and now can enjoy the fruits of your labor. Well done again! :grin: At our age, it's just not worth futzing around with an old, ill-fitting model. Give us something we can build and move on...quickly! :wink:

Return to “W.I.P. Monogram Mafia”