Hasegawa 1/48 P-47D-25

Post your completed aircraft here.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Hasegawa 1/48 P-47D-25

Post by jeaton01 »

Another well made kit, everyone likes the Tamiya Thunderbolts, but they can't be much better than the Hasegawa kits of the Thunderbolt. A build thread is in the Work in Progress section of the forum.

After the photos is some text by Norris Graser with information of how the aircraft's name came about.

And with the other 1/48 P-47's I have done to date. The ProModeler P-47N, this one, and a Koster/Monogram vac conversion of the XP-72. More on the way from the P-35 P-43, some razorbacks including the Dora Wings P-47B, and the XP-47J via a Koster conversion set.

Origin of the Jaywalkin molecule

The guy who wrote the B29 article reported that he was told by a scientist on the project that when flying at high speed, the stabs went transonic - which was no small problem for the SuperFort! He then tried to describe the effect in simple terms for the readers. Basically, He said the air molecules hit the stabs and scattered in many directions causing an unwanted transonic vibration.

Moving forward a few months to the September issue ( which Capt. Lipscomb also read) someone wrote into the magazine & had his letter published in the readers section.

He noted that he read the original article and was intrigued by the " Jaywalkin' molecules" that the scientist had described. He then asked if the magazine artist had any artistic take as to what the " Jaywalking Molecules" looked like. Below his query was an image of the artists rendering of a Jaywalkin' Molecule.

After seeing this caricature, the pilot got his tent mate (Charles Dooney) to help him apply this same image to the cowl of his P-47 and apply the name Jaywalkin' Molecule” to the fuselage side.

Now if you see a similarity to the style of artwork and application of the name to the Turtle series of 509th P-47s and the same type of lettering down the side of The Molecule, (there were 10 Turtles) you shouldn’t be surprised by the fact that Dooney was the artist and pilot for all of the Turtle P-47s.

Norris Graser
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
LyleW
Admin

Re: Hasegawa 1/48 P-47D-25

Post by LyleW »

Grat story. This is jsst a lovely piece of work. I don't know how you guys do this time after time. Skill, talent all to be sure. But, I'm betting on voodoo.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Beautiful work, John! :shoutout:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Great looking build John! And I sure do also love the Thunderbolt family photo. Those are some big brute fighters! :ballbat:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

Beautiful.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Wonderful Job John. :bow:
Would be cool to get a picture of it next to my "The Turtle" :hmm:
P.S. I'm always amazed how fast you can get a kit built!
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, much appreciated.

Lyle, the skill I treasure the most is somewhat having learned how to recover from my mistakes more rapidly!

Chris, the decal set I used also has the markings for one of the Turtles. Post a photo of your model here and I will see what I can do about getting the two of them into one picture.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That is a great skill to possess, John.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Superb work John - that does look excellent and your family photo is brilliant.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Completed Builds”