Italeri's/Accurate Miniatures TBF/TBM Avenger

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
keyda81
Advanced Member

Italeri's/Accurate Miniatures TBF/TBM Avenger

Post by keyda81 »

Next up on the bench(started Christmas day) is AM's reboxed by Italeri's Avenger. I was going to do this one before I pulled out the Hawkeye, but thought I didn't have the right colors. I should of known the instructions were wrong. :bored: I know damn well what color TBM's are, and second guessed myself. I landed up printing out AM's instructions and have been following those for the most part. Although both instructions leave much to be desired. Placement of some parts is kind of confusing, and I've had to look at what others have done to figure out some of it.

One of the things that annoyed me was they wanted portions of the inside attached to one side of the fuselage, and some on the other side. :roll: It would of been easier if everything attached to one side, but there wasn't any locating ribs or anything for those pieces. I managed, but it was annoying.

Getting both halves together was a bit fiddly, and I have to muck around with a bit to get everything lined up, and make sure stuff was playing nice.

It took me a whole two hours to mask everything. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be when I first looked at the turret.

LyleW
Admin

Re: Italeri's/Accurate Miniatures TBF/TBM Avenger

Post by LyleW »

The build looks like it is going pretty good in spite of itself. I think I butchered the AM kit a couiple of years ago. I had a miserable time getting all that stuff crammed inside. You work looks much better.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Great progress. I did the AM years ago and getting the turret in is tricky. Not sure where that model got to but I have another AM Atlantic Avenger in the stash. Following.
Thanks,
John
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Letsee....

Helldiver... done
Dauntless... in my stash
Devastator... need to get
Avenger... need to get
Wildcat... in my stash
Hellcat... need to get

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

LyleW wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:51 am The build looks like it is going pretty good in spite of itself. I think I butchered the AM kit a couiple of years ago. I had a miserable time getting all that stuff crammed inside. You work looks much better.
It was quite fiddly. I think it would of been easier if everything was on one side of the fuselage.
keavdog wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:45 am Great progress. I did the AM years ago and getting the turret in is tricky. Not sure where that model got to but I have another AM Atlantic Avenger in the stash. Following.
From what I'm thinking I'll likely temporarily glue the canopy in place for masking purposes, then remove it to put the turret in. I did a little test fit with it, and I could get it in sideways, and turn it into position. Hopefully that will work out in the end. We'll see.
BlackSheep214 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:53 am Letsee....

Helldiver... done
Dauntless... in my stash
Devastator... need to get
Avenger... need to get
Wildcat... in my stash
Hellcat... need to get

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Only one I have in the stash is the SBD. Picked up a sealed Monogram kit for ten bucks. Might be the next one I do. I seem to like to build stuff in pairs sometimes. I also have a P-38 I got for free that I'm thinking would like nice alongside the P-61. Although that one looks like it will be a pain in the ass. It's an old Monogram one. Getting a head of myself anyway.

I happened to notice the detail on the lower wing in the flap area, and was a bit puzzled by this, so I was reading the instructions and realized you could drop the flaps. The instructions literally say "Model builders with the necessary skill or confidence, may wish to cut and position the flaps in the lowered position. This may be accomplished by cutting the flaps free from the lower wing and adding a piece of sheet styrene.". My brain just thinks: is that a challenge?! :headslap: So I proceeded to cut the flaps out. I may regret that later when trying to build the internal structure on the upper part of the wing. I figured if anything I could just leave it very simple if I wanted to, you won't see any of it unless you specifically picked it up, and looked under there. We'll see how I feel about it. I do have a set of PE flaps for a 1/48 B-17 that I could hack up and use. I was going to use them when I built mini Movie Memphis Belle, but opted not to. Don't have any intention to build another B-17 in 1/48. So why not see what I can use.

I've also managed to make a mess with glue this morning. I spilled the bottle somehow, I'm not even sure what happened, and it got on a few parts. :headbang: So now I'm going to be sanding in hard to reach places to get rid of the marks. Fun wow. Nothing like making more work for myself.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Really interesting build and great pics as well
Very nice work with the internals, beautiful!

Sorry about to the cement incident, I lift my hat that you did not let that kill the mojo of this build.

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Eduard made a nice set of PE flaps

One on ebay for $19

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304764903817
Thanks,
John
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Nice! I have an Avenger in the stash, just can't remember if it's the AM one or the Academy rebox.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Keyda, if you're talking about the old Monogram kit.. I'm assuming it's the original white box kit. Hated the Revellogram P-61 Black Widow repop my son got me for Christmas a couple years ago. Couldn't do a damn thing to make it fit right. At least the original Monogram kit shouldn't be an issue.
I did the original Monogram Black Widow kit in my early teen years. At least back then it came together nicely.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

KSaarni wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:59 pm Really interesting build and great pics as well
Very nice work with the internals, beautiful!

Sorry about to the cement incident, I lift my hat that you did not let that kill the mojo of this build.

- Kari
Thanks! I'm used to it at this point, I typically have a couple days a week where I call it "one of those days". Yesterday was one of them, lol.
keavdog wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:21 pm Eduard made a nice set of PE flaps

One on ebay for $19

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304764903817
I've got plenty of sheet styrene to play with. A bit tedious, but I would rather play with that than PE, lol. PE and me are not friends most of the time. :giggles:
BlackSheep214 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:39 pm Keyda, if you're talking about the old Monogram kit.. I'm assuming it's the original white box kit. Hated the Revellogram P-61 Black Widow repop my son got me for Christmas a couple years ago. Couldn't do a damn thing to make it fit right. At least the original Monogram kit shouldn't be an issue.
I did the original Monogram Black Widow kit in my early teen years. At least back then it came together nicely.
The P-38 I have is the old white box. The P-61 I did was the Revell boxing, and it was a challenge to build. I had to put myself in a certain mind set to work on it. But got through it.

Did some work on the flap area of the upper wings, got the engine and the cowling installed as well. I know the flap area is not going to be accurate, which is fine. You really won't see it anyway. I'm trying to have some fun with it, just seems like the last couple of builds haven't been much fun.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”