MPC 1970 Dodge Coronet - Super Bee - In Work

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
cbaltrin
Master Member

Re: MPC 1970 Dodge Coronet - Super Bee - In Work

Post by cbaltrin »

Thanks everyone! Shoulld have this wrapped up in a day or two!
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

I wanna step in that car and gonna make out with a girl on the back seat... :lashed:
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Brightwork looks great. Bare metal foil or ?
Thanks,
John
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Coming along beautifully… except for that godawful 70’s green color… :wink:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

mostrich wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:34 am I wanna step in that car and gonna make out with a girl on the back seat... :lashed:
And there would be plenty of room to do just that, and more! :lol:

Uh, ask me how I know... :giggles: :grin:
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

keavdog wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:45 am Brightwork looks great. Bare metal foil or ?
Mostly BMF-- Rear window trim and windshield wipers are just a silver sharpie though. I can hardly tell the diff...
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Stikpusher wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:58 pm Coming along beautifully… except for that godawful 70’s green color… :wink:
Just needs a black vinyl top Carlos...
I'm planning on building another one though -- which color do you prefer? Plum Crazy? Top Banana Yellow?

Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

I was a high school senior, nearing graduation, when my parents took me to buy a Dodge Dart Swinger 340. At Waco Dodge, they were running a special deal-buy a 318 Dart and they added the auto trans for free. I did not want a Dart with a 318 and went looking around their large lot. On the very back row sat an OD green 1969 Dodge Super Bee. Oh man, it had a four-speed with the bayonet shifter, plain, painted wheels, twin hood scoops, and a big ol' red button under the dash for the cowl induction scoop. It was a brand-new car, never having been sold yet, and it was already two model years old. (I wonder why...? :wink: )

The key was above the driver's sunvisor and so what else to do but fire that muther up! It made such a satisfying, big-block Dodge rumble...it didn't matter that it was about the most impractical car I could drive at that time, about to move off to college. My parents came looking for me and found me sitting in that Army green Dodge, idling that 383. I tried my damnedest to sell them on that hot rod. It was already a "left over" and they could buy it for a song! No dice, no deal. I was pissed. :sad:

I ended up with a new '71 (year one) Toyota Celica. :grin: It was a great little car, and ran well, but it was a far cry from that green Super Bee. Today, that Super Bee, in top shape, would probably fetch $75K... :headslap:

And it looked just like this one, but not a Hemi.

cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Gary Brantley wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:07 pm
Sounds like you need to build a 69 super bee Gary! :wink:

Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

cbaltrin wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:12 am
Gary Brantley wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:07 pm
Sounds like you need to build a 69 super bee Gary! :wink:
Brother, I envy you car model builders. To me, that is the most difficult modeling subject; maybe it's because their real-life counter-parts are always so near at hand that it makes comparison easier, and more demanding. The last car model I built was that Monogram Type 35 Bugatti. I built it around 1976-77, after moving into my first groovy little hippie pad. :grin: It turned out pretty good and I kept it displayed in an big, old glass Tom's snacks' jar. Until about 1982 when our toddler daughter Ann found it and opened that big glass lid. You can guess the rest... :giggles:

I have since bought another of those Bugatti kits and threaten to build one again. I also had a crazy idea to build Mickey Thompson's incredible Challenger, with those four blown Pontiac V8s. Imagine the plumbing and wiring for that one! My enthusiasm for that project ground to a halt after seeing this model, over at iModeler. It's just unbelievable modeling and as a great auto modeler, you should check it out:

https://imodeler.com/2015/08/challenger ... le-beauty/

That would be a tough model to "live up to"! Or to even come close, but it is a great inspiration.

I struggle to make my armor and aircraft models look realistic but I don't know if a quality car model is really in store for me. Heh, heh, I can't resist looking at the car models whenever I'm in a Hobby Lobby...so, ya never know, I guess. :wink:

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”