One Weeker Tweaker Build

Member created Group Builds
LyleW
Admin

Re: One Weeker Tweaker Build

Post by LyleW »

Adam, Borg and Paul - thanks for the kind words. First use of Alclad. I can swear and attest that the MiG was not flawless in preparation, but the Alclad Microfiller primer did a bang-up job. Neat stuff! With the matte aluminum, this morning I can see a couple of spots on the tail that did not get adequate coverage. It is interesting. Those areas are a bit "fuzzy", but the rest is smooth as can be.

There will be one change. As I said earlier, I tend to get chugging along and then overlook the obvious....Well, this time it is the fact that the captured MiG does not have the wing pylons. Duh..I will be doing the North Korean version with the OOB decals.

It does, however, seem to use a lot of paint with Alclad. I guess it is because it is so thin. I love the finish, though.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Oh the wheels on the bus came off today, came off today, came off today. The wheels on the bus came off today, working on the MiG!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's see....3 broken parts. 1) left canopy rail. OK, made a new one. Looks okay to me. 2) Nose gear snapped off. Haven't figured that one out yet. 3) both barrels came off. I think I can glue those back. If I could drill them out and use some wire, I would. And, something as simple as the nose gear - I've been screwing with this for about an hour. Lead to most of the above. There is simply no attach points in the wheel well...screwed up the paint on the underside of the fuselage. I know you get tired of hearing about my woes. If I don't unload somewhere.....I have calmed down and am back at it.

sorry.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Hey, Jim. I'm fine....just POd. Went and cut the grass. So that helped. It needed one more time and I needed to make sure the NEW mower was fixed. With 8.5 hours on it, the serpentine belt just snapped a couple of weeks ago...as I was about 45% done with the yard! Fortunately, under warranty. The MiG will be finished one way or the other this week! It will simply have some not-so-pretty "field repairs" applied.
Adam
Advanced Member

Post by Adam »

Field repairs are the hallmark of an experienced modeler. Or as my friend Bob always says... just throw a tarp over it.
It's up to you how much money you want to spend and how many new words you want to create "correcting" something.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Sounds like you have some sort of modelling curse, first the B-2 with all its cracks and now this.

As the Brits say: chin up, old boy!
ImageImageImageImageImage
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I like the tarp idea! Borg, I have what I call "ham hands" and am very impatient. With a bit of arthritis, sometimes the fine pieces don't work as well as i'd like. This is still a great way to have fun! The MiG is all back together from the "damage" and I'll probably throw some paint at it today.
Adam
Advanced Member

Post by Adam »

Well I got started on mine the other day and finally got around to getting some progress to where it was worth posting pics. Got the cockpit all done. I'm using all Humbrol enamels on this which is the first time for me.

Got it all sewn up earlier tonight and after a little seam work we'll be ready for some primer!

I really do like these little kits.
It's up to you how much money you want to spend and how many new words you want to create "correcting" something.
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

started on my gustav!

pics, tomorrow?
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
Adam
Advanced Member

Post by Adam »

Where is everyone??? You're running out of time!!! Lol. :bye: :stirpot:

Return to “Member Group Builds”