Classic Airframes Resin 1/48 Fw 190 V1

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Classic Airframes Resin 1/48 Fw 190 V1

Post by jeaton01 »

I thought I had started this topic but I guess I haven't here.

It was a welcome surprise to see this one appear and I did not wait to get one as resin kits usually have short production runs. MPM made a 1/72 kit in 1995 that used the same box art.

A well cast resin kit with white metal gear.

The V-1 resin parts superimposed over and next to Tamiya F-8 parts. The V-1 and other early Fw 190's had BMW 139 engines that did not develop into a successful design. The 139 was the same diameter but shorter and lighter than the BMW 801. When the change was made to the BMW 801 the cockpit was moved back and the forward fuselage was lengthened. The forward fuselage was slightly lengthened again on the A-4 and that was the last fuselage length change until the Jumo and Daimler powered versions. Because the 801 was heavier, and because of other weight increasing changes planned, the wing was re-designed, with more span and less taper to bring the stall speed and maneuverability back to the level of the prototype. The BMW 139 had serious heating issues and with the original engine and forward cockpit position temperatures reached 50 degrees centigrade at the rudder pedals.

The canopy had a longer clear section and there was a different headrest.

All the parts separated from the pour blocks and washed up to get any mold release removed. I also reworked an area of the right fuselage half that had a sort of bulge below the windscreen, not sure how that came about but it's all good now. Looks like fit of the major parts is pretty good.

I made some decals for the instrument panels on this one, using a Yahoo panel but resized. There is some dithering visible in the photos but if you look up close at Eduard and other products there almost always is. The smaller panel is only about 1/2 inch wide so since you won't be able to see it tucked up under the glareshield it will be fine. Way better than my shaky hands can paint!

There was no provision for a prop shaft and I don't like props that are not removable so I installed a music wire shaft in the prop hub and a brass bearing in the fuselage, which has been glued together. The cockpit can be fit from the bottom and it has also been verified that the wing to fuselage fit is good to go, which involved a lot of test fit and trimming on the cockpit tub.

There was some chasing of my tail because I lost the front fairing for the spinner. Of course I looked everywhere, cleaned everything up, all that. Finally gave up and made a new one out of Epoxysculpt. As I was finishing it up, I dropped it, still haven't found it. But as I started looking I found the original part out in the middle of the floor. How I didn't step on it over the last day I have no idea. Somebody up there is seeing if I am related to Job, perhaps. Since most of the trimming and fitting parts is done assembly should go forth now. Until the Fates strike again.

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Re: Classic Airframes Resin 1/48 Fw 190 V1

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice project John! The prototype Butcher Bird! :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

50C at the pedals. Definitely would keep your tootsies warm. Cool project John.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

That is a very interesting project, John. It's well on the way too! :shoutout:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Nice work. Looking good so far.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Aaah, the problematic Versuchsmuster 1. That one is missing in my collection. I love the aerodynamic cowling, it's so good looking.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

All the basic colors are on and the registration letters on on the bottom. Colors are 70/71/65. If you look really hard you might be able to see a hint of instruments once the canopy is on.

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Very nice!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Very nice, indeed! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Very cool with the early war colors

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”