French 75

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stikpusher

French 75

Post by Stikpusher »

This past weekend I got Shanghaied into dog sitting for my middle daughter at her place... it's a long story... and it was also our monthly build & BS SoCal AMPS Zoom meeting on Saturday. So to pass the time, I brought along this kit. figuring it might go fairly quickly...

After about 3 or so hours, I had gotten this much done...

I didn't realize that the kit has photo etch parts, so I did not bring what I wold have needed for cutting and gluing PE, so this is where I stopped. I did this test fit of the wheels and gun shield, just to see how it will look...

Yesterday I added the PE parts and the gun shield, then let that dry overnite before priming... I have not glued on the wheels yet to aid in painting.

Today I gave it a coat of Mig Ammo One Shot Primer

Tomorrow I'll get the painting done... and gluing the wheels on...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: French 75

Post by keavdog »

Looks like a nice quick project. I had started an bit of artillery collection years back- not sure what happened to the built kits but I lost interest overall. Still may do one of those AFV Long Tom's and maybe that 1/16 PAK40 that's coming out - huge!
Anyhow, great progress - looking forward to paint.
Thanks,
John
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks John. Towed artillery pieces are fun kits. They can be quick, or very intricate... especially something by AFV Club! I have their 8" Howitzer, M102 105mm Howitzer, and Flak 18 88mm Gun in my stash. I just wish that there were more gun crews to choose from for manning these guns.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Nice collection. I have a couple Nebelwerfer 41s in the stash - the Aurora/ESCI kit with a crew of four + rockets & gear and the nice looking Lion Roar kit with all the PE and brass launch tubes. Perhaps between the two I can do an eastern front vignette.
I wonder if that French 75 was as lethal as the PAK40 :hmm:
Thanks,
John
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That does look like a fun build.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Lyle! It was pretty fun to build.

Hah! John, I still have the Aurora/Esci Nebelwerfer that I built long long ago back in the late 70's I think.... I've pitched the crew quite a few years back as they were not up to my later/current figure standards. Yeah, a nice diorama can be made from them.

The French 75 was not as lethal an AT gun as the PAK 40, being only a medium velocity gun. But it was excellent for rapid fire, HE use, and for use against masses of troops with canister shot. It was actually adopted by the US between the wars and used on the M3 GMC Half Track Tank Destroyer, M3 Lee/Grant, and the 75mm Gun Shermans. It was also downgraded to fire a lower velocity round for use in the M24 Chaffee and B-25G/H.

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

That looks to be a quick build...
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

It was. If I had built this at home with all my stuff available, it would have been finished on day 1, and painted by the end of day 2. Priming due to the brass parts is the only thing that slows up the finishing process.

FLSM
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

The French 75 is an important but often overlooked piece of history, nice to see one modelled.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Indeed it is Remco! It is considered the first modern artillery piece. I do hope that IBG will make a WWI version. The camo on those was quite good looking. When I was a kid, there was one in a local museum and you could go right up and touch it. I wonder if it’s still there and visitors are allowed to get so close?

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”