Cold War Armor Rebuilds

Completed works that you have decided to upgrade, repair or otherwise do some re-working
Stikpusher

Cold War Armor Rebuilds

Post by Stikpusher »

I’ve got a few of these going on at the moment… on days when I’ll be airbrushing or whatnot I’ve been upgrading or correcting a few of my older builds.
I thought that I had been able to post this one on here when I started it, but I can’t find it if I did. So, apologies in advance if I had previously posted this one on here. This is Dragon’s M26A1 Pershing, that I built as a new release back in the mid 90’s. The build came out nice enough, but this was done in the days when I didn’t gloss coat before decals, or seal them in afterwards with a flat coat, so the decals had lifted off crumbled away over time. I also painted it in the wrong color, as I found out later that USMC Pershings used in Korea were taken from Army stocks and did not have time for a repaint from OD into USMC Green due to the urgent need to get them into battle. Also, apparently I never got around to taking a photo of it by itself in original configuration… the best that I have is with my completed Dragon stablemates of T26E3 WWII Pershing, and Korean War younger brother M46 Patton. The M46 was essentially an upgraded M26A1 with a new power pack, and some other detail differences… the M26A1 I’s reworking is in the center here

So first I cut off the fenders to match what is shown in photos of these tanks in Korea during the Winter of 1950/1951.

Then I repainted the tank into AK Real Color Olive Drab

Next up was a gloss coat, followed by new decals from Star Decals. If you don’t know about this company they make a wide range of decals for Armor subjects in most of the major scales.

and today I sealed that in with a flat coat….

these decals will not be flaking off like the kit decals did…

next up for this one is some stowage and weathering…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Cold War Armor Rebuilds

Post by Stuart »

That looks excellent Carlos - a very nice repaint.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Nice retouch work :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart and tom, Thank you! I just need a couple more sessions with this one... :whistle:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

:shoutout:
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Very cool! Carlos, what flat coat are you using? I'm still looking for a more "dead flat" finish for some builds.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Gary, I used Tamiya XF-86 Flat Clear thinned with lacquer thinner here. But it is not quite a dead flat finish. For that I prefer Humbrol Matt Coat, which does dry dead flat. The best I’ve ever used.

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

The rework is looking great Carlos!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Mike! Way better than it did for many years, that I'll say :wink:

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stowage added, antennas added, most detail painting done….

just needs final weathering now….

FLSM

Return to “In The Restoration/Upgrade Bay”