A Moebius Battlestar Galactica...sorta.

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

A Moebius Battlestar Galactica...sorta.

Post by Eagle-1 »

Hey folks,

Have any of y'all seen or built one of these?

I've had a couple of these since they came out and just started a few months ago on building one. Keeping with my "can't stick to the instructions" mental problem, I'm doing quite a bit of modifying this one. I want it to match, as closely as possible, the studio model we saw on screen.

Like this:

Rob.
Last edited by Eagle-1 on Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Right on the edge... so don't push.
Stikpusher

Re: A Moebius Battlestar Galactica...sorta.

Post by Stikpusher »

Never built that one myself. Only the old Monogram kit issued back when the series was on the air... :whistle:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

Don't brag young-un. I was already a late teenager when it aired too. My favorite Sci-Fi hardware is Space:1999, so that oughta tell you somethin'.

Rob.
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

Stikpusher wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:25 pm Never built that one myself.
Ok, my nutria rat acquaintance :wink: ;) , here's what comes in this box:

The old Monogram can't be knocked. It's all there was for quite awhile unless you wanted to build from scratch, but Moebius did up the game a fair amount.

Rob.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Oh that’s much nicer than the old Monogram Battlestar! And it has decals for names of most of the battlestars… sweet! Now I’m really gonna enjoy this build of yours! :popcorn:
I never watched Space 1999 myself, but I did love UFO!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

You chose the best one to watch. UFO wins that fight and also has some of my favorite hardware, but Space:1999 gets my vote for the hardware.

Most of the Space:1999 series is a cheese fest by todays standards, even though I'll admit to liking it.

Here's some studio scale tanks from the episode "The Infernal Machine" I've built.

Rob.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Rob, those are really sweet! Excellent work. I had no idea that there was such stuff on that show. :shoutout:

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Those are fantastic stuff, Rob! Never watched Battlestar Gallactica back then. Never saw Space 1999 either. :bag:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

That's your fault. Y'all'stube can get you most Space:1999. Season 1, mostly gold. Season 2, not so much, but the hardware is still there. Season 2 is more "HEY! There's an alien attacking that has killed 22 of the 311 men and women of Alpha, but kiss me and it'll all be just fine".

Rob.
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

Alrighty, let me get this started! At this point I'm fairly deep into this and I may miss something trying to go back to the beginning. If anyone happens to be interested in any of this and I don't mention or show something you would like to see or have explained, DO NOT hesitate to speak up. I am open to ANY comments, critique, criticism, questions and concerns of any kind, good, bad or indifferent. I don't consider myself, by any means, any good at any of this, but it is plastic and I do have an X-Acto knife. Any commentary on anything is both desired and welcome. Modeling is ALL fun and games for me and my feelings can not be hurt with this stuff. Speak your mind and/or ask me anything along the way. Looks alright, that's what we want, looks like crap, say so. I can't fix what I don't see/notice and would be grateful for the heads up before the glue goes on and especially before I screw everything up with paint.

This Moebius kit starts out a very good representation of the old "Gal" from the TV show straight out of the box. It was well received by most due to the fact that the only other kit ever released by a "legit" model company was the Revell/Monogram. This kit is leaps and bounds better than that kit was because it will provide a very detailed finished model of a Battlestar Galactica.

As I have stated already, that always seems to be a problem for me. Even though I more than likely will end up with a horrible mess instead of what I was headed for with any intentions I saw in my head, I always over estimate my skills. My whole goal with this kit is to make it as closely match the original Battlestar Galactica we saw "on screen". That's how it always starts.

I started this one fixing up the nose piece a little. I will generally, along the way, post where it started and what I ended up with as well as any studio shots I have that can show just how badly I missed the mark. I ain't scared. Anyone who has seen this kit will know just how small most of this is. Those that haven't seen any of this, keep in mind, I ain't got alotta room on most of these dance floors! I got fat fingers too.

Here's the stock piece:

Here's what I was able to do:

Shootin' for:
Nose:

Bridge ramp:

I'll sorta be working from the front to the rear, so I've modified the ramp along the nose that leads up to the bridge. Compared to the studio model, this area needed some changes. I removed this ramp and raised it to about what it looks like on the studio model. I've also added a little detail to that area.

I've continued working toward the rear of the model. There is a German tank hull on the studio model just behind the bridge that needed some tweaks on the model, so I tweaked it! It's very prominent looking at the model and didn't have very much detail at all. I ended up adding a fair amount of detail on this piece and actually opened it up and added some detail under it, like the studio model has.

Here's UN-modified...

Here's what I was able to do with it. I think it's better?

Actual:

Lord have mercy! This took an hour and a half. Up hill. Both ways!

Rob.

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”