A Moebius Battlestar Galactica...sorta.

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Re: A Moebius Battlestar Galactica...sorta.

Post by Eagle-1 »

Just a little farther towards the rear, there are a couple of circles that are suppose to be a set of another WWII tank engine grill vents. I figured what are suppose to be tank grills should LOOK like tank grills. A tough fix for sure, but I think this'll work? Looks better to me. I hope I sorta got the hang of this... There's another set at the engine section.

Again, here's the stock kit comparison:

Here's the area on the original:

Rob.
Right on the edge... so don't push.
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

Now, if some of this looks wonky or not exactly cleaned up properly yet, it probably may well be and not be final yet. Anyone who's seen or got this already knows, again, I'm whittlin' on some mighty tiny pieces, so keep this in mind when you say "THAT LOOKS LIKE SH.. ROB!" Of course, I still wanna HEAR what anyone thinks needs something, but I will and have been tidying along the way. I'm also adding little details along the way.

Rob.
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

Next, the domes on the mid section. They ain't no raised detail on them domes on the studio model but they is on this kit. These had to go. I actually removed those domes from the model, shaved 'em down smooth and then added back some scribe lines. I added detail to the forward dome and on the rear dome, I re-made all the detail. I beveled the areas around the domes as the studio model has, added the domes back and added a little more detail as best I could. Here's one of the instances where they look a little rougher zoomed way in than they do actual size, so like I said, cut me a little slack, maybe. Along with the dome modifications, I've revised some of the detail around the area of the domes too, again, to more closely match the studio model. The scribe lines are just a little wider and deeper than I would like, or they should be, but the lines all over the kit are excessive also (It's one of the only gripes people have with this kit), but they need to match what's on the kit.

My modifications and the stock kit together here:

The old girl again:

Rob.
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Ah, somebody's doing the greebles!
As a big Sci-Fi nut I'm taking a seat in the front row. Welcome to the forum, Rob!
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

Moved a little more toward the rear and added some, in my opinion, much needed detail.

Here's bone stock:

After I got through spreading glue and stuff around:

Rob.
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

mostrich wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:08 am Ah, somebody's doing the greebles!
As a big Sci-Fi nut I'm taking a seat in the front row. Welcome to the forum, Rob!
Why Thank you!

It's even worse than greeblies. I'm trying to reduce a 1/24th scale part down to 1/4105. Rivets is outta the question on this, so let them rivet counters show up.

Brang 'em.

Rob.
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

I backed back up toward the front of the kit because I forgot to add a little detail right at the rear of the mid section at the rear of the neck. There is a gun battery on the studio model that appears as a small lump on this kit. It, to me, is also a prominent part and needed to be done up a little. So, I done it up a little.

Here's the kit offending section:

Here's the studio again with what should be there:

Here's what I was able to stick together. It ain't perfect, true, but I think it looks much better than what was there.

Rob.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

References are key to upgrades like this, and you sure look to have them. That “German tank hull” I recognize as that of a West German Marder IFV. Man you nailed that with the holes for the troop hatches and rear MG remote mount. :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

I think it did improve it a little? Yes sir, reference is always good and I will post what I use as I go along. I generally try and do a little research and I have been fiddlin' with Sci-Fi subjects for quite awhile. That original kit part on the studio model is a Roco 262 Marder and, as you probably know, is about 4-5 inches long. You can fit almost three from this Moebius on a US dime, so when you say I done alright, I'll take it! Good catch too, where you was when I needed you? :wink:

That particular part (in part) is this:

These ROCO tanks are HO scale and are all over the Galactica and more will show up later.

Rob.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

okayyyy I'm confused (not hard I know), I keep expecting this to be an egg-Galactica but it's not is it, it's an actual model of the studio model? Great detail upgrades, that gun battery looks excellent.

I watch Galactica as a kid and am currently watching it through again on Amazon. I did watch the remake, but gave up after a few series because I came to the conclusion that none of the characters were particularly likable and I didn't actually give a shit whether they survived or not - I also thought the special effects on the old version were better.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”