"Easy Pickins"

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: "Easy Pickins"

Post by keavdog »

Fantastic work Steve. Really great tonal variation and weathering. All the gear and disorder screams action. Can't wait to see it adorned with a couple of your excellent figures.
Thanks,
John
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Man that is some fabulous detail work that you’ve done here! I never realized that there was a BMW logo on the sidecar too! It’s all looking top notch Ski. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Amazing work, Steve! :bow:
SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

keavdog wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:10 am Fantastic work Steve. Really great tonal variation and weathering. All the gear and disorder screams action. Can't wait to see it adorned with a couple of your excellent figures.
Tanks, Keav! The nice thing is, the figures are already done, HA!
Give Blood, Play Rugby, cause everyone knows football is for wimps!

SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Stikpusher wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:18 pm Man that is some fabulous detail work that you’ve done here! I never realized that there was a BMW logo on the sidecar too! It’s all looking top notch Ski. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Thanks, Carlos. Ya, this kit is actually pretty detailed, but I went much further, full plumbing and wiring. I figured, if you could/should see it, ya might as well include it.

SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Gary Brantley wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:15 am Amazing work, Steve! :bow:
Tanks, Gary!

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Wowser! That looks so good!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Your work never fails to amaze me, Steve. I also like the background story of the resurrected dio from the tomb of neglected projekts.
I also have a started dio standing around in my bedroom since... 2014 maybe? I'm sure I'll be back at it sometime because I still like the idea of it.
Good ideas are timeless, aren't they? :grin:

Cheers
Torben
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

LyleW wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:45 pm Wowser! That looks so good!
Muchos Gracias, Me amigo!
mostrich wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:12 pm Your work never fails to amaze me, Steve. I also like the background story of the resurrected dio from the tomb of neglected projekts.
I also have a started dio standing around in my bedroom since... 2014 maybe? I'm sure I'll be back at it sometime because I still like the idea of it.
Good ideas are timeless, aren't they? :grin:
Cheers Torben
Thanks, Torben. Work that dio when you get the gumption to do it, especially if the idea is still inspiring you. I would have had this finshed long ago, but space A was a serious issue. Now, that being said, I still need to keep track of the width and height of the finish, otherwise I will have overbuilt it and it still wouldn't fit the cabinet space, HA! Ya, I wish I had even more room than what I recovered recently, oh well.

SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Building the Woodshed/Out-Building

After serious consideration on how to lay out this scenario I’ve decided to build a woodshed/out-building. Since most of the barns in Normandy back in WWII were made mostly of stone with wood roofs and trusses, and I wanted to make an out-building, no stone work will be done. The lumber material has a rough sawn texture and would be typical of what would have been used for such a secondary structure.

The scenario will work the same and I’ll be able to keep the scene open enough for the action to be visible without losing sight of the Ranger, he won’t be hidden. And of course there will be plenty of climbing ivy and bushes to cover and climb the old wooden structure. I will be using several shades fo dark brown and black to give the old wood appearance, so this should work just fine.

I cut all the material on the table saw using weathered 1”x10” pine board scraps. I left an area open for some weather damage as well. The shake shingles were cut from a board that had not been planed, so the width would wider and be close to scale. I’m going to be busy for some time placing all those shingles, but the effect will be worth it.

The posts all have heavy metal pins and the base has been drilled for each location making for a stable set up. Right now, I’m debating what kind of equipment might need to be built to fill in some spaces as well as a few oil drums and maybe some tractor equipment as well. If I could find some 1/9th scale aftermarket equipment that would be great, but I’m thinking I will have to build all of it from scratch. No worries, that’s another fun [part of this Sport, the imagination and creation, right?

More to follow soon, but right now I’ve got my work cut out for the next few days. Thanks for watchin.

Cheers, Ski.

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”