A freshly hatched Viper from Moebius.

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Re: A freshly hatched Viper from Moebius.

Post by Eagle-1 »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:43 pm That’s what 9-1-1 is for. LOLZ!
911 is there for those that need it and it's a good thing to have available.

Bless their hearts.

Rob.
Right on the edge... so don't push.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Or call MedicMike :whistle:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Someone call 911? :giggles:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Eagle-1 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:05 pm
I say I've got many planes, but what I have are several half planes or planes that have been completely ruined by stealing one part from it to use somewhere else. Same thing with my whole pile. Only one or two have ever been picked up with any intention of building it. Most kits I own are strictly fodder. Doomed. Scheduled for demolition.

You wouldn’t happen to have a 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster in that batch of stuff? In particular the sprue of clear parts, or perhaps just the main canopy? I am looking for one of those…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

No sir. I haven't ever picked up much past kits up to about 1974, unless, like I say, I planned it for me to build. 1974 would have about been the cut-off for 'used in Space:1999' studio scale. I've picked up many re-issues as long as they met that timeline.

Rob.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The Tamiya Lancaster dates originally from 1975, so it just missed your cut off date... ah well, it never hurts to ask. :wink:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

No sir, it does not hurt to ask at all and if I had it, you would get it.

Rob.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well thank you for that offer. :wink:

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Hi Rob,

Thanks. I have been curious about building an Eagle. Ditto the shuttle from “Outland.” I believe someone bravely interpreted and kitted that subject (Fantastic Plastic?) but the cost was high. Ditto the Lunar Industries vehicles from “Moon” by Scott Spicer. What other subjects have you built?

I look forward to your answers to the SPAM 10 questions. I believe you have already answered two of them (glue of choice) and the choice of subject but the “why” matters more than the “what.” “Why you and why now?”

Your story of the Tamiya tank purchase and subsequent flame war with its former owner is remarkable for the degree of devotion and venom and vitriol a model kit generated. Thank you for sharing. I don’t know how to easily answer to what you wrote other than to recall my grandfather’s expression: “Hang on tightly, let go lightly.” In other words, once the kit was sold it was no longer the seller’s concern, like it or not.

After my father died I took some old coins I thought might be of value to a local antiques dealer. As he unwrapped my neat packages he remarked how so many customers would bring him worthless or nearly worthless items very neatly wrapped as though these were treasures. I had done so. He said, “I can give you scrap value for this.” That’s when I realized that my personal investment was interfering with the practical reality of a commercial transaction.

I look forward to more of your thoughts and work.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

speedgraflex wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:37 pm Hi Rob,

Thanks. I have been curious about building an Eagle. Ditto the shuttle from “Outland.” I believe someone bravely interpreted and kitted that subject (Fantastic Plastic?) but the cost was high. Ditto the Lunar Industries vehicles from “Moon” by Scott Spicer. What other subjects have you built?

Mr. David Sisson could most likely help tremendously with an Outland Rover. I remember there were numerous posts about Outland at possibly the RPF? There were certainly many at Resin Illuminati at one point and I recall the man who was doing most of that, but I don't remember a name at the moment. I don't think he actually kitted anything, but he certainly built most of the hardware as I believe David Sisson has done. Don't hold me to any of this, I'm shootin' from the hip with the memories on this one.
speedgraflex wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:37 pm I look forward to your answers to the SPAM 10 questions. I believe you have already answered two of them (glue of choice) and the choice of subject but the “why” matters more than the “what.” “Why you and why now?”
Well, maybe on a "glue"... sorta. I use TAMIYA Air Brush Cleaner for styrene because I really like the Extra thin TAMIYA and it's the same thing but much cheaper. I'm like most on that subject. Plenty CA gets slung around over here and there are times I'll use epoxy and even fiberglas and polyester body filler. My putty choice, no matter the subject, is BONDO glazing and spot putty. I've tried many and that is the absolute best on every medium.

I do claim to be a Sci-Fi guy, but that's just so I'll fit in and not be considered a geek. I'll build a car ever now and again too and just as I've posted here and on the Y-Wing thread, I have a soft spot for egg planes. It's a problem and I don't know why I do. It's in my evaluation.

Unless something pressing comes up, I'll get to those questions in the next couple days.
speedgraflex wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:37 pm Your story of the Tamiya tank purchase and subsequent flame war with its former owner is remarkable for the degree of devotion and venom and vitriol a model kit generated. Thank you for sharing. I don’t know how to easily answer to what you wrote other than to recall my grandfather’s expression: “Hang on tightly, let go lightly.” In other words, once the kit was sold it was no longer the seller’s concern, like it or not.
He was mad, that's a fact. AGREED!!! I have said it many times, it's just a plastic model.
After my father died I took some old coins I thought might be of value to a local antiques dealer. As he unwrapped my neat packages he remarked how so many customers would bring him worthless or nearly worthless items very neatly wrapped as though these were treasures. I had done so. He said, “I can give you scrap value for this.” That’s when I realized that my personal investment was interfering with the practical reality of a commercial transaction.

I look forward to more of your thoughts and work.
They were treasures.

To you.

You couldn't put a price on that anyway.

Rob.

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”