Ark Models Mig-3

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Ark Models Mig-3

Post by Stuart »

Yes I've heard of this problem before - sounds like a good solution though Tom.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stikpusher wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:09 am I think that I thinned down the cowling top piece with my Dremel to make it sit right…. :hmm: That and sanding one of those tanks that sit just behind the spinner to give a proper fit.

Not worth it for me. I removed those tanks behind the spinner. Not gonna see them anyway. But… if the fit wasn’t an issue and had I really wanted to show off the engine, I would have left the cowling top cover removable. With the issues I’ve dealt with so far, it’s not worth it.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Some progress made prior to Easter Sunday...

Cockpit is painted..

Holes bored out for MG barrels in cowling. Haveng found anything suitable for metal barrels yet. Looking around at home for them. I don't need a lot for the MG barrels.

Finally the engine heads painted I'll using on e fuselage is buttoned up. Painted Gunmetal, light gunmetal (covers), and Russian Earth Brown for exhaust ports. They will be weathered once in place.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Looking good Tom

Ark Model is for me a totally new & unknown brand, but seems to have very good detailing!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looking good Tom!

The Mig had blast tubes between the barrel bores and the firing ports on the cowling cover. All you need is some small diameter tubing or to hollow out the kit parts.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stikpusher wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:16 pm Looking good Tom!

The Mig had blast tubes between the barrel bores and the firing ports on the cowling cover. All you need is some small diameter tubing or to hollow out the kit parts.

Good to know.

keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I always thought blast tubes were to protect the aircraft from muzzle flash etc... never considered this

The blast tubes on a P-47, and P-38 (and P-35 FTM) are to keep the guns warm - or at least from 'overcooling' in the slipstream - so they are less apt to freeze up and jam. It's the same reason that muzzles are taped, or patched over, and wing mounted guns are often fitted with electric heaters , or ducted hot air.

Never too old to learn something new :hmm:
Thanks,
John
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Until you’re talking larger caliber weapons such as 20mm or above, muzzle blast should not cause damage to an aircraft skin. Perhaps a small panel of thicker gauge aluminum, or steel, but not much more than that for a weapon of .50 caliber or less. I’ve had a .50 M2 and 7.62mm M60 machine guns fired directly over my head/right ear while wearing nothing more protective than a CVC helmet, and the blast is something akin to the force of perhaps somebody clapping their hands together hard, with your head being one of the hands... The earphones on the CVC helmet do a great job of protecting your hearing… now if I had been in a standard helmet with no hearing protection… :whistle:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Tail rudder I stalled... check.

Main wings installed... what a nightmare. I had to fight with it to get it in place. Looks like there will be some putty work done to fill in the gaps and sanding to remove the I'll fit sections. :headbang:

I'll be working on those problems tonight.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Propeller painted...

Gaps problem areas filled in with putty...

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”