Ark Models Mig-3

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Ark Models Mig-3

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Jeeves wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:30 am I was thinking the box art was reminiscent of ICMs...you could always display the engine next to the finished model if you don't want to hide it.
That is an intriguing idea... something to think about. :hmm:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

keavdog wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:54 pm 59 kills. Man that Mig-3 looks like a hotrod. Article said he got most of his kills in the P-39.
Yeah, it does look like a hot rod. :giggles: I just love the streamline look of the Mig-3.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

According to Pokryshkin, the Mig-3 was indeed a hot rod, requiring the right set of flying skills to fly it to best advantage. Considering that he outscored western aces flying two of the most maligned Allied fighter types of the war, the Mig-3 & P-39, he must have been quite the fighter pilot indeed.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Ok... here's the cockpit parts layout. Yeah, it's gonna be a fiddly one....

Now on to dry test fitting the wing halves. Oh boy.... not what I was expecting to see.... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Not sure what happened. Looks like a bad sprue molding job from Ark Models. :headslap:

Not sure how to move forward from there. I'm guessing some serious putty work. Even the wingtip light markers doesn't line up correctly. Perhaps a bit of surgery to match it up. I don't know...

I'm seriously thinking of dropping the flak hammer on this one if the putty work doesn't work for me or find an ICM kit replacement kit. :bored:

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Wow, that is amazing. Get some vey thin sheet styrene. Over glue some trim out and sand???
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

See if they will send you a replacement: info@ark-models.org

Here's there site: https://www.ark-models.org/
Thanks,
John
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looks like your upper wing halves were short shots… :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stikpusher wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:23 pm Looks like your upper wing halves were short shots… :hmm:
I think it’s the lower wing halves. Look how the flap areas are curved as if they didn’t pour the styrene through.

keavdog wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:53 pm See if they will send you a replacement: info@ark-models.org

Here's there site: https://www.ark-models.org/
I can try. Not sure how reliable they are to get replacement parts. If no response, it’s getting binned or tossed.

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Ah that's a shame Tom - the engine looked good!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I've been thinking on how to move forward with this. Cutting out a small section where wingtip lights on lower wing and reposition to correct spot to upper wingtips Using scrap sheet styrene to fill in the areas is one possibility to correct this as opposed to putty work.

It's doable but will I be satisfied with the outcome? Only time will tell.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”