Tamiya Paint Mix for P-47 Cockpit

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
cbaltrin
Master Member

Tamiya Paint Mix for P-47 Cockpit

Post by cbaltrin »

A Possible Tamiya Paint Mix for P-47 Cockpit Green. I got to tinkering due to a recent question regarding Tamiya paint call out for their P-47 cockpit and came up with this mix. What do you guys think? It's the color in the top right corner of the index card and is roughly equal parts of XF-5 Green, XF-50 Field Blue and XF-19 Sky--Maybe a little less XF-19 that 1:1:1 -- I worded the XF-19 is last to lighten it up a bit.
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Tamiya Paint Mix for P-47 Cockpit

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I avoid mixing paints exclusively except on very rare occasions. I use AK Interactive Real Color US Interior Yellow Green. Green Zinc Chromate works too.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

I get it, but I have enough paint types on my shelf already and don't like mixing brands on a project. Mixing your own can be fun, as long as you mix enough to last a while and record your formula :whistle:
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Republic built P-47s had their cockpits painted in Dull Dark Green, which is supposed to be quite close to today's Europe I Dark Green FS 34092. A Tamiya mix for that is: 3 parts XF-26 Deep Green to 1 part XF-2 Flat White, per the mix chart here

https://replikator.club/2021/02/06/tami ... d-colours/
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

cbaltrin wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:55 pm
BlackSheep214 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:49 pm I avoid mixing paints exclusively except on very rare occasions. I use AK Interactive Real Color US Interior Yellow Green. Green Zinc Chromate works too.
I get it, but I have enough paint types on my shelf already and don't like mixing brands on a project. Mixing your own can be fun, as long as you mix enough to last a while and record your formula :whistle:
Agreed - it is fun, I mixed my own PRU Pink for the Spitfire PR mk.X I built a good few years ago.... now ask me if I remembered to record the formula :headslap:

Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

LOL! That's one of the reasons why I don't/won't mix my own paints. Ain't got time to write down the mixing formula. :bag: :bored: :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Modeling Discussion”