AMT 1/35 Kenworth K-123 Cabover

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
LyleW
Admin

AMT 1/35 Kenworth K-123 Cabover

Post by LyleW »

Ahh, the K-123...Soviet sub masquerading as a Kenworth. Great disguise.

Anyway, a typical Round 2 AMT re-pop. Kit number is AMT687/06 and as they proudly tell you, it is a "highly detailed 1/25" kit.

I did start this one as a way to keep the CH-54 "on deck" for a bit longer. Whyy? I don't know. I like trucks.

The chrome is way over the top....two large sprues and 1 small sprue. Soacked some of it in bleach (that normally works) for 24 hours and nothing. Of course, none of the parts are numbered. Well a few are like the cross braces on the chassis so that you can determine the upper and lower parts. But, that is it for the most part.

The sprues are not numbered, nor is anything on the handy-dandy map on the bottom of the box. Geez, Louise....spend a buck and put it on your stellar instructions.

Many parts look like blobs, especially the smaller chromed ones. Some I simply could not locate. For those I simply cut nubs from a piece of sprue and there you go....instant part. To say that these molds could use some freshening up would be an understatement. "San Andreas Fault" sized mold seam lines, a lot of ejector marks and less than crisp parts in a lot of cases.

The chassis rails are a tad warped, but so am I. Not terrible, though.

Here is the engine. It is painted in Rustoleum Gloss Enamel in Almond. It is what the Tractor Supply store had, which was more than what I had. . . so that is what used. It took almost 48 hours to dry to my satisfaction. If anyone has a recommendation for a dehydrator or drying box, let me know, please. I still have to paint the belts and other accessories black, etc.

There are only somewhat vague references to where to place the cross members. If you guess correctly, things seem to fit pretty well.

Okay, see these little U-shaped (upside down) brackets? Here is the helpful instruction

"8 angle brackets. NOTE: Angle to the rear."

Uh, what angle? the entire bracket? is there an angled side that is rear facing? What? How hard would it have been to add a notch on the mounting hole and pin to get what you want? I did find a bit of guidance a couple of steps over. Looks like the front-facing side should be vertical.

Working on the front suspension and assorted pieces/parts....perhaps more later today.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Re: AMT 1/35 Kenworth K-123 Cabover

Post by LyleW »

A little on the front end...Since the cav is supposed to tilt, there are two tube and shafts that provide that function. Glued up the tubes. let the dry and then reamed them out with a piece of wire that was the same size as the plastic. Now they actually slide.

Front suspension and steering

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow. Those are some old molds. Good luck with it.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

You got this Lyle…
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Bloody awesome Lyle, Great progress thus far, I'll get my popcorn.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, guys. There is so much flash on some parts that you have to clean them up yo know what part it is. Today I spent more tim searching for the part than I did installing them. Still haven’t found two of them.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

This is an interesting project Lyle,

This must have been a super duper kit, when the kit came out back in 1971 (Scalemates info).
The detailing look really good, especially the engine!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I bet it was something when the molds were new. There is a lot of detail parts, but not so crisp any more. Digging some out of their flash coffins is like an archeological dig…”Hmmm, what do we have here, Watson?”
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I will be shocked! Shocked, I tell you, if all this stuff fits as it should under the cab box.

In what can best be described as a "Duh!" moment....I never thought to look for a Cummins Beige paint color. John Eaton provided a pic of the paint color and my Rustoleum was way, way off. Thank you John...Now, the only local place I could put hands on a can today was some 20 miles away at a truck parts store. I dd not want to go out for that. I have enough errands this afternoon. So, looking around, the Tamiya XF-46 Khaki looked much closer to the color on the picture. So, I used that. John, I hope it passes muster.

jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Close enough, Lyle. Once they have been overhauled close enough is close enough.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”