Weird question about wood stain.

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Weird question about wood stain.

Post by scorpiomikey »

I have an art project i'm working on, its about to be displayed in Milner Gardens up in Qualicum Beach.
I went and got some good stain to finish it off, and it wasn't until i got home that i realised i had got a solid stain instead of a transparent stain.
I really want the wood grain to shine through.
Does anyone know if i can take a solid stain and make it transparent? Thinning? Apply and wipe off?
If it helps its the Behr Premium solid color stain/sealer. Its just a little 8oz sample pot.
Thanks.

You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
LyleW
Admin

Re: Weird question about wood stain.

Post by LyleW »

I think/thought solid stain was just that…meant to cover. Do you have any scraps from this piece that you could try it on?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

Thats kind of what i gathered. I was just hoping i could thin it or use it as a wipe on wipe off thing to stain the wood while letting the sculpted plywood show through.
All the scraps are up on campus. Its plywood of some description (found chunks in the scraps bin that looked nice enough) and door skin gills.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

Paint on, wipe off, sand. Produced roughly the result i was after.

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Looking good! Nice work.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Nice, very nice!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Free Discussion”