WIP - Hasegawa 1/32 Bf 109 F - Trop

Any aircraft, or missile manufactured by Messerschmitt under said name. Bölkow-Blohm and subsequent merger and takeover aircraft are excluded.
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Re: Hasegawa 1/32 Bf 109 F - Trop

Post by Manny1943 »

JimD wrote:Ugh...despite my silence of late, I have been working on stuff. This kit has been nothing but headaches. Nothing major (once the wings were done), just small gaps and steps and misalignment all over the place that need to be cleaned up. I've spent more time that I'd like to admit filling, sanding, refilling, scribing, sanding, filling...etc., but here we are. Primer time.

Tamiya Surface Primer. Next up black basing? Though I think I'm going to do some experimenting. Stay tuned.

...whats taking so long!!!???
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

JimD wrote:(...) This is initial "marbling" which will be blended in further. (...)
Marbling always makes a 109 taste better...
Handiabled
Master Member

Post by Handiabled »

Looks great from here Jim!
ShadowRyder

Post by ShadowRyder »

That is an interesting technique. I am quite looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
If you can’t convince them, confuse them.
wing_nut

Post by wing_nut »

Jim my man that is looking sweet

Manny1943 wrote:
JimD wrote:(...) This is initial "marbling" which will be blended in further. (...)
Marbling always makes a 109 taste better...
:D And thanks for helping me decide what's for dinner. Gonna push the snow off the grill... and grill MEAT!
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

JimD wrote:Filled up on a perfectly cooked (medium rare) ribeye, had a bottle of Cabernet, smoked one my Valentines gifts (cigar) and laid some paint on this sucker.

The next step in the paint process is fairly simple. I've experimented with varying shades of the base color some, and on this I thought about trying different shades to overlay such as browns and greys for some added weathering effect. However, I feel like what I'm doing with oils and such at a later stage covers things pretty well, so I'm keeping with the KISS method here.

The base RLM 76 was thinned heavily - I don't measure ratios, and work on feel - but I'd guess 30:70 paint to thinner. The "marbling" is done with a wavy pattern; for the overcoat I like to keep the application flowing linear over the surface. Light coats are added to build up the desired effect.

I won't add any more layers of paint to this, but you will notice after clears begin to fly that the contrast will become less pronounced. Ever build I struggle with leaving it more contrasting that I think is needed and end up loosing it a little more than wanted on the final product, but I'm hopeful with this build things will even out like I want since I've left it a little more pronounced than usual.

I love the effect on the sides...reminds me of Fermis' 109 a bit w the over-sprayed mottle. Can't say that I care for the same look on the bottom, however...

Return to “Scale Plastic Aircraft Modeler Official Messerschmitt Group Build 2015”