1/48 Ground Support stuff (images repaired)

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Stikpusher

1/48 Ground Support stuff (images repaired)

Post by Stikpusher »

While I have been witing for paint and/or glue to dry on my Typhoon IB, I have decided to pull some stuff off of the stash sidelines in case I decide to do a display base for this and other projects. Well a proper base needs stuff and/or figures, so first up I built up my long sidelined Soviet Ground Crew that came with an ICM Yak-7B that I built over 10 years ago. They are not too bad and I think will paint up nicely and certainly enhance any WWII (or Korean War) Soviet aircraft displays. Not quite as crisp as most Monogram figures, but they have some really good work poses. As you can see I have started painting them...

then I pulled my ICM RAF figure set out and started building them... these were much better quality than the Soviet figures with very crisp molding and some quite dynamic animated poses. I still need to build all the equipment that comes in the set as well.

I am particularly impressed by this pair of figures, a fully suited up pilot about to enter the cockpit and his crew chief standing by to assist him. I posed them with my Academy Spitfire Mk. XIVc just so you can get an idea of how well they are posed

I really do hope that my 48th figure painting skills are up to the task on these fine figures

and finally I built up a RAF Fuel Bowser cart and Starter cart from a Monogram ProModeler airfield Ground Equipment set. There also is some USAAF and Luftwaffe stuff in there to do as well...

starter cart

fuel bowser cart... I am leaving off the wheels to aid in painting this one

I will post progress photos as these things are painted and finished... :droid:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Re: 1/48 Ground Support stuff

Post by LyleW »

Very interesting stuff. I'm impressed that you paint 1/48 figures, much less paint them well! The other stuff is going to be spot on, too. Those two with the Spitfire are probably the best I've seen as far as looking like they belong there. Nice.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks for the kind words on my 48th scale figure painting Lyle. While I was waiting for more stuff to dry on my Tiffy, I made up the equipment that came with the RAF set: a table with an ammo linking machine, a ladder, some sort of hoist, a couple fuel cans and a welding cart...

these are some Monogram 48th scale pilots that I did a few years ago...

nothing outstanding... there are guys at the local IPMS chapter who do WAY better...
:?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stik -

Any plans on scratch building creating the ammo linking table machine as if they're working on it? You know, ammo belt of sorts as they're linking them up?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BS, no plans for now... If I find or come across some figures that will work for that sort of thing I will do so. But for now it's just going into my things for future use box....

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well last night after dinner to pass the time I decided to work on something else.. some modern ground support stuff that came in this Esci 1/48 Mirage F1C kit that I have had in my stash for ages.

It is actually their own "Ground Support Equipment" set from the late 70s :hmm:

It's actually a decent little set coming with an aircraft tug, a bomb loader, a bomb cart, an aircraft towbar, a boarding ladder, and some aircrew and groundcrew figures. The Mirage also has another little batch of stuff that I have not yet built, toolboxes, and extinguisher cart, warning signs and cones, and even a vacuform runway base. Everything needed to make a nice little display setting.

A close up of the tractor. I am going to use those Hobby Lobby gemstones on the lights once it is painted. They will help. BTW, does anybody know what model of aircraft tug this is? I found a similar looking one on an image search in Vietnam during that war, but I can not identify this thing... yet

the aircraft towbar

the ordnance cart

the bomb loader- the arms actually raise and lower using the old heated screwdriver assembly method

and with its' operator figure in place

the aircraft boarding ladder

the ground crew figures... old school with pickle suits (aka fatigues) instead of more modern BDUs or their replacement uniform

and a couple of jet jockeys... the helmets were molded separately and I think these two will paint up pretty nicely...

thats all for now...

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Another nice little interesting set - I especially like the loader. It'll be good to see how they paint up.

(Always something I fancied doing myself actually)
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Some nice looking stuff there Stik. I didn't realise there was so much ground equipment in this scale.
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Bish wrote:Some nice looking stuff there Stik. I didn't realise there was so much ground equipment in this scale.
Airfix is also bringing out some really nice looking 1/48 WWII RAF Groundcrew figures this year, as well as some support vehicles - bowers etc - all to go with their new tool 1/48 Battle of Britain era Hurricane and Spitfire kits - also due out this year.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”