Fujimi 1/700 IJN Heavy Cruiser Chokai (Completed)

Here is the place to show off the progress of your ship builds.
LyleW
Admin

Re: Fujimi 1/700 IJN Heavy Cruiser Chokai

Post by LyleW »

The improvement is astounding! Sure looks like it was worth it to use the PE so far. Beautiful.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

I am a true Pe believer now, Lyle, especially for ship modeling. just give a lot of umph to the overall appearance

Moving rather quickly, the model was constructed without any complication. working on the PE as I understand now reduce my building speed to half.

This the painting process of the preshade color XF-63 German Grey and base color XF-24 Dark Grey.

this is the start of making a base color for the IJN Chokai's linoleum deck. I started off by applying XF-57 Buff

eventually the model looks like this. everything is done by careful airbrushing. no masking were used.

Monty / dmminiatures
BsYamato
Addicted Member

Post by BsYamato »

OMG i see the wip pictures on Flickr Monty ! following with explanation of another masterpiece :)
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Hi BsYamato - What's your Flickr name? Thanks from dropping by!

Anyway, sharing with the rest of the gang some of the updates pics from the WIP. The deck is linoleum and should be in a darker reddish brown color. I did not use any masking and everything is being done freehand using an airbrush. You can see the coloring of the deck to a more browner color.

You can see here that the deck is now a scale darker than the earlier spray. This is my first time doing a linoleum deck, so i am going extra careful not to overshoot the color too dark. To get a neat finish, I touched up the edges or any over-spray with a brush

Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

The next stage of the Chokai is the installation of the main PE railing sets. These railings goes on the main and elevated deck.

You can see that I have glued some PEs BEFORE the model was painted, such as the railings on the superstructure; and some AFTER the model was painted. such as these. I used cyanoacrylate glue (aka superglue) as adhesive. I have heard that white glue works as well but I have never tried it.

Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Some of the super detailing that you can do with PE sets. in 1/700 scale, these pieces can drastically enhance the final look of the ship. this shows the ladder on the bow port side.

This image shows the catapults and crane. The level of detail outstrips the original plastic pieces.

I always like the color of unpainted PE

Monty / dmminiatures
BsYamato
Addicted Member

Post by BsYamato »

On flickr ia my real name, Silvio Petrolo :)
More good updates
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Fast forwarding the last parts of the build includes the detailing parts.

i used poster color as my washing materials. my regular mix is dab of Sakura poster color, mix with a dab of Sunlight dishwashing liquid, and add a few drops of water. trying to get a fluid consistency.

Working on the highlights. Here, adding enamel Tamiya XF-2 flat white on the main guns' canvas using a brush.

Drybrushing the structure using light shades of greys including Tamiya sky grey.

Monty / dmminiatures
mlp
Advanced Member

Post by mlp »

damn what a fiddley work, it looks great. I would end with tons of pe glued everywhere :)
Cheers
Martin

Welcome to my blog
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

mlp wrote:damn what a fiddley work, it looks great. I would end with tons of pe glued everywhere :)
Not me, it would all be glued to either my arms or fingers..... :tongue:
Joe

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Return to “Work In Progress: Ships”