Fujimi 1/700 IJN Heavy Cruiser Chokai (Completed)

Here is the place to show off the progress of your ship builds.
dmminiatures
Master Member

Fujimi 1/700 IJN Heavy Cruiser Chokai (Completed)

Post by dmminiatures »

Hi All, I am currently building this model. its a 1/700 scale copy of the IJN Chokai. I bought it for US$50. Rather pricey for a model of this size. what I didnt know is the PE set that came with the box was just amazing.

Last edited by dmminiatures on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Monty / dmminiatures
LyleW
Admin

Re: Fujimi 1/600 IJN Heavy Cruiser Chokai

Post by LyleW »

Made some popcorn, have a cold iced tea at hand and have pulled up a chair! This will be epic.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
dmminiatures
Master Member

Re: Fujimi 1/700 IJN Heavy Cruiser Chokai

Post by dmminiatures »

Enjoy the show, Lyle! The initial build was quick. I dont like waterline series but the silver lining is that I could focus more on getting stuff on the deck versus dealing with the hull.

This is the bridge. everything is tiny

the tropedo launchers are next. in the end I could only see 10% of what's in there. I use tamiya extra thin cement for all gluing of the plastic parts.

Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

this kit started as a mistake. i bought the kit from a friend. thinking its 50 dollars, i thought i was buying a 1/350 scale ship. when it came though the mail, i was shocked it was a 1/700 ship. In addition, I have no interest in the PE set, regardleas how super detail it was.

so what was I supposted to do? I was working on the Testor Bearcat when I felt so numb working on it. thwn I thought of the IJN Chokai. hoping that by cutting a few sprues woud give my jive back.

Turns out I was hooked in building this heavy cruiser!

Here are a few photos of the development of the main funnel. This was my first time handing tiny and fragile PE bits.

Here is how the same funnel evolved. the PE you see is very complex, consisting eight smaller parts. I used a hold-and-fold tool and tweezers to help me bend them.

Monty / dmminiatures
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Wow, that is some super detailed work. I would have imploded just looking at the PE!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

i was equalky impressed too, Lyle. I never worked in such detail and at this level before.

at this stage, the progress is very fast. the plastic goes well together and the PE fits nicely. I can say this is yhe honeymoon phase of the build.

Here, PE railings are glued o the main superstructure. I bend them and dryfitting then before placement using superglue/powerglue.

my biggest enemy so far is boredom in doing the PEs. especially when dealing with complex and tiny bits of pieces. the way I approach it is keep everything under 20 minutes. if not complete, I put my tools down and walk away from the desk.
Monty / dmminiatures
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Looks very nice! Well done.
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Jim - I am with you. to compare, I have the Warspite in 1/350 that I will be working on soon juat to compare. and yes, the scale is kinder to my eyes than a 1/700 model.

Let me show you that the PE set gives you almost everything to make the appearance looks better. These are the original plastic parts of the main turrets.

Here is what the turret looks like after I added the PE plates

I had to use everything that I have including the handle of a paintbrush to bend the plates.

I wasn't patient enough to work on the third turrent, so I dry fitted the two that I worked on.

Here is what the turrents look like after a basic spray of Tamiya XF-24 Dark Grey. the detail will come out as soon I am done with some washing and drybrushing.

Monty / dmminiatures

Return to “Work In Progress: Ships”