T-64BV Skif 1/35

Here is the place to show of your finished armor products.
Stikpusher

T-64BV Skif 1/35

Post by Stikpusher »

Another modern MBT that I built within the past few years, back when the Skif T-64 kits were the only game in town. I dont recall any issues with the kit aside from some ninor ones involving the fuel drums and engine deck. I painted it based off a profile of a Soviet T-64 seen in East Germany in an old Osprey Book Tank War Central Front, NATO vs. Warsaw Pact. This was one of my first uses of those Tamiya weathering sticks for a dried mud effect. (I did not realize until just recently that the insignia on the IR searchlight cover are Ukranian and not some Soviet unit- ah well :? )

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
AIRFIXER
Advanced Member

Re: T-64BV Skif 1/35

Post by AIRFIXER »

Nice rendition of an interesting subject, stik.

The T-64 has been sort of enigmatic for Western analysts for almost two decades, being a league of its own when compared with the ubiquitous T-72. The T-64 incoporated a few "firsts": being the first tank ever with an automated loader and the first Soviet design featuring composite armour, state of the art sensors and a stabilised gun.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thank you Kurfuerst. I like the look of the 64. I remember in my TOW gunner days in the mid 80's the T-64, along with the T-80, was even more of an unknown boogeyman than the T-72. By 1982 the T-72 had at least been met in combat and found not to be so invulnerable as portrayed.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

I am always surprised about the small size of those turrets. When I did my service in the German Bundeswehr riding on a Leopard 1A4 we have been told that only rather small Russian could get into those tanks... :shock:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes they are cramped inside. When I was at Ft Benning in training as a Private I had the chance to go inside a captured T-55. I am only 5'7" and it was a tight fit for me.
Crew comfort and survival are not high on the Soviet tank design points.

FLSM

Return to “Completed Builds: Armor”