1/72 Italeri F/A-18

Fermis
Addicted Member

1/72 Italeri F/A-18

Post by Fermis »

So far, so good...the box art picture is pretty cool!

There is only one marking option, which is for the plane on the box. Not a complaint from me, it'll go nicely along side Italeris F-5 I just did in Swiss markings.

Two big sprues, plus the little one for the canopy parts.
I haven't done any research as to the original release of this kit, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's got at least two decades on it, if not the better part of three...I just don't know. A fair amount of flash will take some extra time to clean up, that seams pretty localized to the ordnance though, the rest is in pretty good shape.
Cockpit and gear bay detail is fairly basic, but not bad for the scale and what I'm assuming about the kits age. Raised panel lines aren't horrible (although, I do hate them, generally speaking), there are some inconsistencies with them from one section to another.
There is nothing for internal detail...ie...intakes and tail pipes. Intakes will be about half an inch deep, then a flat "wall". Same goes for the exhaust nozzles, no interior detail. Not a big deal, I don't display my builds tailpipe first!
My favorite thing...too bad it's not an option for me, doing an OOB review...there's all the parts needed to build this kit as a "D", two seater. I LOVE two seaters, especially when the single seat version is much more common.

I'm on snow patrol at my airport right now...not looking like I'll be any kind of busy out there tonight. I brought this kit with me, so I'm gonna get crackin on it right now!
Fermis
Addicted Member

Re: 1/72 Italeri F/A-18

Post by Fermis »

Alright...so, three hours in.

I did just a very basic paint job in the pit, then just ran with it...little kid style!

The pit tub is a loose fit, but the nose/fuselage section was a good fit...and that was the end of "good fit".
"Gappy" is about the best word for the fit of everything else.

Honestly...so far...I'm thinking the coolest part about this whole thing is the box...and I don't like the side opening style model boxes.

:bored:
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Fermis wrote: Honestly...so far...I'm thinking the coolest part about this whole thing is the box...and I don't like the side opening style model boxes.

Nevertheless.... :popcorn:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

You can probably make something nice of that Italeri kit. But it does look dated.
ImageImageImageImageImage
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

The kit is from the Reagan-era, so bear with it. :giggles: 1980 to be exact.

I like the Swiss markings, the new Kinetic F/A-18C has them in the box, too.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Looking good so far Fermis. That looks like an F/A-18 I built some time ago: that gap pattern was just what I had to deal with. You can do it though.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Looking good - gap and build wise it looks very similar to a lot of the older British kits I build Fermis - the wing underside gap looks like my Matchbox F-16. Nothing you wont be able to handle though.

Build asides - what do you think of the overall shape of the kit?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

portman wrote:
Build asides - what do you think of the overall shape of the kit?
It's shaped like an F-18. Nothing seems glaringly "off"...other that the front portion of the canopy sill. It is a separate piece, to allow the 1 or 2 seater option.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

mostrich wrote:The kit is from the Reagan-era, so bear with it. :giggles: 1980 to be exact.

I like the Swiss markings, the new Kinetic F/A-18C has them in the box, too.
What's wrong with the Reagan era? :hmm: The challenges don't start until you get a kit from the Kennedy era... :giggles:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Back to this one.

Trying to get it ready to paint...forcing myself to proceed, only because I took it on for review.

I opted for wheels up (to speed this up), gear doors fit was not good...nor were the stabs...and the canopy fits like crap.
If I'm being honest...Had I bought this kit, I would have just stashed it and then given it to my nephew when I got mad at him.

On a positive note...the markings are kinda cool...and...this is a great reminder for how good we have things these days.

Not even going to bother filling the trenches on the bottom. This thing will be lucky if I even hang it up out in the garage.

Stikpusher wrote:
What's wrong with the Reagan era?
Kits like this...that's what's wrong with the Reagan era!

Return to “Member Reviews”