JAG Models 700th scale USS William H. Standley CG-32

Here is the place to show off the progress of your ship builds.
Slipmahoney

JAG Models 700th scale USS William H. Standley CG-32

Post by Slipmahoney »

Happy New Year and Greetings from the new guy. I stopped by to see what my old LEM buddy, Mark, known as “Duke Maddog” was up to. Of course, I couldn’t say hi to him unless I signed up, which I did. I also thought this would be a good place to hang out and post the aircraft I’ve got in my stash. There aren’t many, though, an Airfix 72nd scale Vampire T-11, Lindberg’s 72nd scale F-100 Super Sabre-with battle damage and Hasegawa’s SR-71 Blackbird egg plane.

I’m normally not an aircraft builder, but I do dabble now and then. At the moment, I’m working on JAG Models 700th scale USS William H. Standley CG-32. She was one of the ships I served on during my 14 years in the Navy.

You can’t imagine how surprised I was at finding a Ship Forum here amongst all these aircraft. This means I can post the Standley build here and do more than lurk around while I work on her. This will be my first build thread about anything since the LEM closed its doors last year. Don't know if there are any former LEMurs around, other than Mark, but if there are, maybe they'll drop in and say "Hi". They'll also recall how most of my builds started out with a bit of history on whatever I was working on, well, here we go again. I will admit, though, this one is a bit long since I've had this kit since last August.

And, here she is, in all her resin glory. Looking over this kit was like taking a walk down memory lane, especially after setting on the aft section of the superstructure.

The model is the USS Belknap and her class sisters in their later years and includes the modifications added after her mishap with the aircraft carrier, USS John F. Kennedy in the Mediterranean in 1975. We were over there at the time, but not in the area where it happened.

If you're not familiar with the Belknap-Kennedy incident, please take the time to read the article below. As I said, we were in the Med with them at the time, just not close enough to be able to offer assistance.
http://pilotonline.com/news/military/lo ... b9c42.html

The following excerpt, covering my time aboard Standley is from the ship’s history found at: http://www.hullnumber.com/CG-32.

“Departing Charleston on 14 June 1974, William H. Standley reached Rota, Spain on the 27th and, during the early part of her tour, visited the French ports of St. Tropez and Theoule, where the ship joined in celebrations commemorating the 30th anniversary of the Allied landings during World War II. She then visited the Italian port of Civitavecchia. From July to September, William H. Standley spent many days at sea due to the Greco-Turkish crisis on the island of Cyprus. She underwent a brief tender overhaul at Augusta Bay, Sicily, and followed up the repairs with a full slate of underway activities.

Highlighting that period were two events: the tow of Vreeland (DE-1068) when that ship developed serious boiler trouble on 4 October; and the surveillance of Soviet warships in the eastern Mediterranean. During the latter, William H. Standley discovered a Soviet submarine and maintained sonar contact for over 49 hours, forcing the surfacing of a "Zulu"-class submarine.

For the remainder of the cruise, the guided missile frigate continued her schedule of at-sea periods interspersed with visits to Genoa and San Remo, Italy, and to Rota. Departing the last-named port on 24 November, she arrived back in Charleston on 9 December.

Following the ensuing Christmas leave period, the ship underwent repairs at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Portsmouth, Va., and emerged from the yard late in February 1975. On 1 July 1975, William H. Standley was redesignated as a guided missile cruiser, CG-32. As the summer wore on, the ship operated out of Guantanamo Bay, Roosevelt Roads, and San Juan. She subsequently sailed for the Mediterranean on 2 October 1975, leaving Charleston in her wake on that day, bound, as before, for Rota.

Taking over from Luce (DLG-7), William H. Standley operated in the "middle sea" into the winter, spending Christmas (and New Year’s Eve) at Naples. The guided missile cruiser remained in the Mediterranean into the spring before turning over her duties to Harry E. Yarnell at Gibraltar on 25 April 1976 and heading for Charleston on that day.”

I re-enlisted in Gibraltar and, after returning to Charleston, eventually ended up on the USS Orion AS-18. That is a story in itself and will probably show up in the prequel to building the Orion, provided I decide to get the Fulton class tender kit.

Okay, they say the first cut is the deepest and I reckon it is. I’ve been debating with myself since August whether or not to build the Standley as is from the kit, her pre-decommissioning condition circa 1990s, or take her back to when I was aboard in the mid-70s.

Well, today, I looked at this part and decided to make…

The deep cut. Yep, I'm taking her back in time.

From here on out, it’s going to be all or nothing, the “Willie Hot Dog” is going to be built the way she was when I served on her. I hope y'all didn't mind the extra-long preamble to this build, but it's how I began them on the LEM and figured it won't hurt to do it here. My builds are done for me, they don't get put in shows or displayed anywhere other than on a shelf in my living room, if they’re lucky, but I do like to let people know why I build what I do and why it's important to me.

I believe the model will be a better reminder of her than this; her final image.
She was sunk as a target on 23 June 2005 in the Pacific around Hawaii somewhere. The Standley was my home for over two years and she was a good ship.

Well, the cutting is done and I’m happy with the results. The macks are just sitting there for now.

Since it was getting dark outside when I finally finished up on the superstructure, I put her away for the night. I do all my work in the living room on the keyboard of my laptop and when the light goes, I do too. I’ve got a magnifying lamp attached to a bit of a table next to the laptop, but it isn’t all that bright. I’ll get back to work on her later today.

Thanks for the opportunity to share what’s on my “bench”, even though it doesn’t have wings.

Rick
“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one's Mother's side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Foreign Country, and a Benediction from Above.”

Oh yeah, ROLL TIDE!
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: JAG Models 700th scale USS William H. Standley CG-32

Post by Thomas_M »

I really like your relationship to this ship (sorry...), and the historical background. Not a ship modeller myself, I am amazed about what talent can do on a 1/700 build! I got my Coke, and will take a seat watching!
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

Looking forward to seeing this build progress. I, too, like your introduction, it is always special when someone has a connection to a model they are building.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Rick, one of the things I most love about following your build Threads is the introduction where you detail out the significance of your model and/or the history of the vehicle you are building. I have missed this and I'm so thrilled to be following your Threads again. I'm watching this one very closely.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I like the background information as well. Every ship has a story to tell.

I am going to enjoy following this project. I’ve never done any resin ships myself, so this will be enlightening.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Subscribed!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Slipmahoney

Post by Slipmahoney »

Thanks for the comments, guys, they're appreciated. Truth be told, I kind of missed having a place to post my builds after the LEM closed down. I know there's a FaceBook page with that name, but I'm not much of a FaceBook kind of guy even if I do have a seldom used page on there.

I used to build whatever struck my fancy, and still do at times, evidenced by the selection of Imperial Japanese ships in my stash. Two of which are the battleships Yamashiro and Fuso, both sunk at the Battle of Surigao Strait (October 24-25, 1944). Then there are the sister liners, Hikawa, Hie and Hien Marus, converted to submarine tenders, both lost at Truk, and a hospital ship that survived the war and is now a restaurant in Yokohama harbor.

Even if it’s not a personal connection, I like finding out the history of my builds almost as much as I do the construction, like when I built a B-24. I ran across her story by accident while researching B-24s and the rest was a lock. My Academy kit of “The Goon” became the Assembly Ship, “First Sergeant”. She’s almost done, except for her polka dots. I still haven’t gotten around to painting all of them… yet, but she’s got quite a story.

Mark, I didn’t realize how much I’d miss the posting and “conversation” that comes with belonging to a group of modelers like this. I think I’ve found a new home.

Bruce, I appreciate you posting the photos of the Standley. If you don’t mind, I’d like to copy them to my Standley folder on here? They wouldn’t be shared, just kept with my other pictures of her.

Thanks again for all of your comments. Did manage to get a bit of work done on her yesterday, but not as much as I had intended. There was a cricket match on and it’s hard to do work and watch at once, so I was concentrating more on the match; still haven’t gotten all the rules and such down pat.

Anyway, since I’m doing the Standley as she was in the 70s, the extra platforms molded onto the sides for the close in weapons systems pods had to be trimmed away as did the ones over the torpedo tubes. We didn’t have them back then.

On the port side the platform over my torpedo tubes had to go, don’t know what they were supporting, as did the CIWS platform alongside the hangar bay. The Harpoon launcher platform amidships stays because that’s where one of the 3” guns will go.

The starboard side was a bit easier since only the platform above the tubes had to go. I did modify the CIWS platform sticking out in the midships area by rounding it off a bit. That’s where the other 3” gun will go. There’s another Harpoon launcher aft of that, but it didn’t require an additional platform. It’s actually mounted over the torpedo magazine. I’m not sure how that would have worked; firing missiles on top of a magazine. :yikes:

And, that’s where we are at the moment. Might get some more done tomorrow, but there’s a doctor’s appointment at the VA hospital in the morning and a visit by a Roanoke City detective tomorrow afternoon, more on that later, but it's a good thing.

Rick
“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one's Mother's side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Foreign Country, and a Benediction from Above.”

Oh yeah, ROLL TIDE!
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Rick,

Happy 2018! Please feel free to keep the images—I come at projects from a visual perspective so it was time well spent online attempting to locate color photographs in particular. I also thoroughly enjoy the narrative you are constructing because storytelling is essential to our experience. I feel your connection to the subject most deeply, and your narrative is vital to the outcome, almost as much as your techniques, perhaps these go hand in hand. There is nothing quite as potent as when a model builder constructs a project with its linkage intact to a particular time; to find the moment when these subjects were vital and recreate this perspective is one of the greatest aspects of the process.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Rick, I am so glad you found a new Home. This is the best place for us, and I am thrilled that you are here. You make this place more complete for me, along with all the other former "LEMurs" who've signed up here.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Slipmahoney

Post by Slipmahoney »

speedgraflex wrote:Rick,

Happy 2018! Please feel free to keep the images—I come at projects from a visual perspective so it was time well spent online attempting to locate color photographs in particular. I also thoroughly enjoy the narrative you are constructing because storytelling is essential to our experience. I feel your connection to the subject most deeply, and your narrative is vital to the outcome, almost as much as your techniques, perhaps these go hand in hand. There is nothing quite as potent as when a model builder constructs a project with its linkage intact to a particular time; to find the moment when these subjects were vital and recreate this perspective is one of the greatest aspects of the process.
Thanks, Bruce and Happy New Year to you too. Those pictures will make a great addition to my collection.

I agree with you that finding out about a project brings that extra bit of "life" to it as it's taken from a pile of plastic parts to the actual object it's intended to represent and sharing it with others is a big part of the process. A personal connection, if there is one, brings an extra bit of joy to the build too, whether it's replacing a kit built as a kid and destroyed by firecrackers such as this Duesenberg,

Or recreating in miniature, a car you once owned, like this '64 Impala SS.

She's looks just like the one I had back in '69, right down to the chrome reversed rims, four speed shifter with lockout pins and an 8 track player under the dash.

Then, there are the ones you do for friends, like this M551 Sheridan for an old high school buddy.

He sent me a couple pictures of the one he drove in Vietnam and I did what I could to duplicate it.

Mark, I'm glad as well. I appreciate your kind words, my friend. I think it's the ability to share what I'm working on that gives me the extra incentive I need to finish what I started. I've got so many kits that have been started and then put back in their boxes since leaving the LEM it's not funny. Maybe now I can get back to them and finish them.

Hope y'all don't mind the extra off-topic pics, but they prove my point when it comes to personalizing my builds.

Rick

Oh yeah, ROLL TIDE!

Return to “Work In Progress: Ships”