Dragon OrangeBox 1/35 Sd.Kfz. 251/6 Ausf.C

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Floki
Elite Member

Dragon OrangeBox 1/35 Sd.Kfz. 251/6 Ausf.C

Post by Floki »

As I wait to see if I get any response from GWH on the clear plastic and IP decals for my Black Widow I have started this. This will be my fourth 251 my third from Dragon but my first Orange Box boxing of the 251. The difference is you don't get the redesigned seats but they do give you the PE springs for them seats. In the Dragon kits you get three different sets of seats. The blockie ones like what comes in this kit, then two part seats that look like the real seats. You only get one set of the bottom portion but two different upper portions. One with molded in springs and the other plain to use the PE springs. I'm going to use the molded on springs upper from the spares box and modify the kit part by cutting off the upper and reshaping the lower then sand off the molded on springs to use the included PE. Now for a bit of history.

This vehicle was a familiar sight, widely associated with the German infantry during all of World War Two. It began simply as an armored version of the Sd.Kfz.11 half-tracked artillery tractor. The half-track was one of the several solutions given to the problem of low off-road capabilities of trucks and associated “special purpose vehicles”. The Sd.Kfz.11 was designed in 1938 and was the prime mover for the 105 mm LeFH howitzer and 37 mm Flak 43, 9000 units were built until 1945. The next Waffenamt specification, which requested an armored vehicle capable of carrying a section of Panzergrenadiers and their equipment in order to keep up with the Panzer Divisions. Each German mechanized infantry corps was to be equipped with a hundred of these. The protection given had to be sufficient against small arms fire and artillery shrapnel, and armament should comprise two MG 34 machine-guns for defense and direct support. In German nomenclature it was classed as a Mittlere Schützenpanzerwagen (Medium Assault Armored Vehicle).
Because the Sd.Kfz.251 was produced by the same manufacturer as the Sd.Kfz.11, the natural choice was to use the HL kl.5 chassis as a base on which a stronger framework, supporting the armored panels, was constructed. After a few sketches, the sloped armor that characterized the type was taken from the previous 7.5 cm Selbstfahrlafette L40 prototype made by Hansa-Lloyd in 1937. This was a risky choice in terms of efficient storage and production ease, but the idea behind was straightforward. The slope meant that any bullet or shrapnel had to travel through more of the plate, while keeping the weight low. The armor protected the entire length of the engine, radiator, driver and the open top rear compartment. It was 14.5 mm thick, with a 14° slope at the nose, 10 mm/80° for the glacis, 8 mm/35° for the side and rear panels and only 6 mm for the flat bottom.
The hull was entirely welded, with prefabricated sections. The open-top configuration allowed a greater awareness of the situation and allowed a better angle and arc of fire for the machine-guns. The body was composed of two main sections, the front cowling and the rear open-top. These two sections were made of steel plates welded and riveted to the base chassis. They were joined together by riveting, the reinforcements being located behind the driver’s compartment. This provision, associated with the initial strength of the chassis of the vehicle, provided exceptional rigidity.
The engine was the same Maybach TUKRM HL 42 (4.17L) as that of the Sd.Kfz.11. This was a petrol 6 cylinder four-stroke watercooled engine with magnetic ignition, providing 100 hp@2800 rpm. It provided a 12.8 hp/tonne power-to-weight ratio, giving an average 32 mph on roads or very flat terrain, and 13 mph off-road. This was relatively fast for an armored half-track. Steering was done using the front axle, with a turning radius of 11 m. The tracks, of the Zgw 5001/280/140 or Zpw 5001/280/140 type, were relatively large and procured excellent grip, especially with the W 302 rubber tread pads. Each comprised 55 and 56 (left /right) links and were 7.7 and 7.84 m long. The Sd.Kfz.251 was one of the first armored vehicles to be equipped with interleaved wheels. This slack track lowered the ground pressure, but they proved problematic on highly muddy terrain, like during the Russian Raspoutista.
The hollow weight was 6.8 tons, 7 tons in battle order and 8.5 tons or more when fully loaded. It had a payload capacity of 1.5 tons and a towing capacity of 2.7 tons, which meant that the Pak 36 or a 20 mm AA autocannon could be carried. Normal crew was 12, including the driver, platoon commander, and ten Panzergrenadiers and their equipment.
Production: Ausf.A and B
The Ausf.A was the first of the Mittlerer Gepanzerter Mannschaftskraftwagen. It appeared in mid-1939 and was first allocated to the Panzergrenadiers attached to the 1st Panzer Division stationed at Weimar, during the spring of 1939, the best equipped German unit at the outbreak of the Polish campaign. Production figure estimates for 1939 are only 232, and production was assumed by Hanomag in Hanover, Büssing-NAG of Berlin Oberschoeneweide, Weserhuette of Bad Oeynhause, Wumag of Goerlitz, and F. Schichau of Elbing.
The Ausf.B appeared in 1940 and was similar in all aspects but the relocated radio antenna from the step to the rear fighting compartment, and the removal of the rear vision sights, for production ease. By the end of 1940, only 337 more would be delivered. An estimated 500 took part in the French campaign.

The Ausf.C late 1941 was also very similar, but introduced a new flat engine nose plate, 14.5 mm thick, without an access trap, replaced by a simple hole for the manifold. Other minor mass-production simplifications included the rear access doors. Attention was also paid to the engine, with the removal of the front hood cooling grid and the lateral access traps, replaced by large open ventilation boxes, and the lower part of the hull was modified to increase the compartment draw. The rear muffler storage boxes were relocated to the rear, and the mufflers themselves were completely modified. The rearview mirror was relocated from the driver side vision slit to a lower position. The headlights were now fixed directly to the chassis and the bumpers removed and replaced by towing hooks. Production for 1941 is assumed to be 389 vehicles. However, an increase in production was urgently needed, but by 1942 these figures rose only to 424 and around 1200 for 1942. Unit cost was 22,560 Reichsmarks.

The kit

This being my third Dragon 251 I already have a plan on how to proceed.
First is to build the tracks doing this first will really help with getting the road wheels all level later on. On the other two kits they have both been 55 links for one side and 54 for the other. I've built both sides up to 54 links and will add the more if needed.
The tracks have three attachment points that need cleaned up per track and each rubber pad has two points needing cleaned.
The way the tracks go together leaves them to be workable in the end and that comes in great with adding them at the end of the build.
I built the tracks into groups of two, then the two into four, four into eight and so on until I have them all togeather.
That is all I have as of now thanks for looking in!
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
speedgraflex

Re: Dragon OrangeBox 1/35 Sd.Kfz. 251/6 Ausf.C

Post by speedgraflex »

I am subscribed and following along!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

me to. I built the Dragon boxing of this a few years back, nice kit.
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

This will be fun to watch. Far more patience than I have. That is probably the reason your builds look so good. That and you have some amazing skills.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I need to watch this. I have a couple of Dragon 251s in my stash.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Thanks everyone! These Dragon 251s fight you in several places. First is getting all the wheels level, then the floor plate that doesn't have a 100% accurate location. Then the side walls lining up with the top. After you get past them three things then it's as easy as building any other Dragon kit. Glad to have you along Bish I don't remember seeing your /6. I still haven't built one of the AFV Club 251s, I purchased several after watching one of your builds.
Odin's sons... Attack!
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

I built it in 2016, not sure if i did a thread on here, but here are a couple of pics.

I hope to be doing another AFV club 251 this year, the /21. But in the meantime i will enjoy watching yours come together and getting my 251 fix.
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

That's a great looking build Bish!

Started in on this today, Step one wants you to add some things like the battery, fuel tank and transmission none of these will be visible at all so I opted not to bother putting them in.
My attention went instead to step 3 building the front suspension for some reason the instructions are marked to make two but that's just not possible.
With some careful gluing you can keep the front suspension workable and steerable here is how.
I still have a bit of cleanup to do on this.
glue parts C25 and C20 together to trap C30 and C35 do not glue these two parts this will keep the steering workable.
Glue parts C10 and C11 together to trap C20 between them, this will keep the suspension workable.
Part C15 can snap fit onto parts C30 and C35 and move with them.
Later on part C8 can attach to the completed suspension and just be tucked under the lower armor plate, part D30 to keep everything workable.
That's all I have for now, thanks for looking in!
Odin's sons... Attack!
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

I don't know whay they tell you to make 2 sets, very odd. The steerable front suspension is one on my favorite features on the Dragon kits, its the only brand i have built that allows that.
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

It's really useful when building a diorama and you have a uneven surface.
Odin's sons... Attack!

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”