North American F-51D, Airfix, 1:72

Post your completed aircraft here.
Bolleken
Master Member

North American F-51D, Airfix, 1:72

Post by Bolleken »

Here are some pictures of a dirty Mustang from Korean War. The Airfix kit has some fitting issues fuselage/Wings but it is the best basis dir 1:72 Mustang.
Slipmahoney

Re: North American F-51D, Airfix, 1:72

Post by Slipmahoney »

That is one great looking dirty Mustang, Bolleken. I definitely like the way your weathering and the look of a well used aircraft turned out.
“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one's Mother's side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Foreign Country, and a Benediction from Above.”

Oh yeah, ROLL TIDE!
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

The way you've built and weathered that model is nearly flawless. Exceptional work.
But those Airfix trenches, I think I'll never get over them. :headslap:
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Congratulations and as a side note yes I voted on the other site, and I would have kept adding votes if I could. I was keeping another 1/72 Mustang built from another kit by another builder as my mental goal for how good 1/72 kits are in the right hands, but I am replacing that version with yours. Torben mentioned “trenches” but I honestly did not register the panel lines when I saw the finished project, maybe if you are more experienced and aware of the kit—having never built any Airfix kits I don’t know if the panel lines are generally more pronounced in the Eighties era—but I do know you have given the kit life, and set it in an era that is fascinating to me. And I really feel how carefully you adjusted the values of the weathering itself.

My experience with entering competitions comes from film/photography ones I have entered. It’s great to compete. You learn not only what makes you better but also you learn what the judges liked or chose would be a better word; you learn about choices. My theory is you have to choose from the heart what you want to achieve and keep improving, not to sound like a self improvement guru... but I do live in California so that filters my perspective, lol.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

that's a shure purty pony! yehaww! :DI: << closest thing to cowboy hat, lol!
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:shoutout: Man I like this one! Of course I am biased towards Korean War subjects, but that not withstanding, I think that this turned out great!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Again one of those fantastic 1:72 builds that actually could be a 1:48 or bigger by looking at the pics!

Very nice build all in all!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/

Return to “Completed Builds”