Renwal 1/25 ‘66 Mercer-Cobra.

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
speedgraflex

Re: Renwal 1/25 ‘66 Mercer-Cobra.

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:My Monogram Hurricane was from 1964. And if we went thru all of BSY’s & Duke Maddog’s builds on here, I bet they have some older stuff. Come to think of it, Owl’s kitbash that started with the Testors/Hawk 1/72 SBD is older... I’m pretty sure that is late 50’s vintage.
Yessir. You are correct. According to Scalemates, Hawk released the 1/72 SBD in 1956!!!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Last edited by speedgraflex on Mon May 07, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I used stretched sprue instead of brass. The brass led me into the weeds. Now I have to fabricate two exhaust heat shields. I am not quite sure how, though.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

speedgraflex wrote:I used stretched sprue instead of brass. The brass led me into the weeds. Now I have to fabricate two exhaust heat shields. I am not quite sure how, though.
Lead foil is a good option for the heat shields. It can be cut to match the size of the kit part, and if it’s perforated, you can add that detail with a pointed tool such as an awl.

Looking good so far Bruce!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you, Carlos! What a great tip! What I was thinking was to make two solid rectangular shapes and glue these to the top half of the car body only. I want to keep hide the seam between upper and lower halves of the body without filler which is how the model is designed; in fact when I researched this model there is a slot car version. This explains why the top and bottom would have four countersunk screws holding the halves together and the precut rectangular opening on the bottom. Cut that out to provide an opening for the motor unit.

Sketches of what is left to build here:

I know I went oversized on those pipes, but I like ‘em, and I didn’t blow a gasket or wrap my head around an axle coming up with the solution. Also, I think the coppery bronze mix on the Original Series “Enterprise” radar sensor ought to work really well. Any thoughts on paint?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That color looks good, although I might lean towards a brass or gold tone more.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Paper mock up for the heat shield. There is no finesse; edges are really boxy, 90-degree modular; but this might could work.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

How in the world did I miss this one ? Wow Bruce. This is definitely not a kit that's seen built every day. Rock on brutha!

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”