Renwal 1/25 ‘66 Mercer-Cobra.

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
speedgraflex

Renwal 1/25 ‘66 Mercer-Cobra.

Post by speedgraflex »

The Mercer Cobra Roadster was a one-off vehicle commissioned by the Copper Development Association from Virgil Exner’s designs in Esquire. Its design was drawn up by Virgil Exner and Virgil Exner, Jr. and was built using a Cobra chassis, number CSX2451.

The most notable feature of this modern interpretation is that it was built on a Cobra chassis (number CSX2451) and can be found on the Shelby American World Registry as sold through Shelby American in February 1964. Not only did Shelby provide the chassis, but the company also provided the engine and gearbox.

The front of the car is dominated by a classic-style brass grille with eight large elements in front of mesh stone guards and headlights ingeniously mounted on pivots where they swing back flush with the sides of the nose when not illuminated.

Virgil Exner’s Design

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Re: Renwal 1/25 ‘66 Mercer-Cobra.

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice! Now THAT is a machine!!!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:Nice! Now THAT is a machine!!!

Truly, it is. The photo comes from its most recent auction; and I am trying to locate the catalogue details, because this is a very special machine—a real work of art.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

After deconstructing the kit, I started with the top and bottom halves. After a round of polishing, I was left with this:

Not bad, but a far cry from the white pearl of the actual car. Painting will be necessary to achieve this.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

All of the exhaust pipes are missing. Out comes the Albion brass and the Evergreen Polystyrene. Starting to design the first two pipes and heat shield on the lower rocker panel.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:popcorn:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote::popcorn:
Always makin’ me hungry, bud. Glad you survived the Cinco. Riddle me why there are six exhaust pipes on this beauty? That is a lot of exhausting! I am exhausted writing that last sentence. Some one save me before the giant hook appears and yanks me off the stage.

What is happening with the Vampyre? I have nothing to sink my teeth into at the moment. Okay. I will stop with these puns.

Also: is this the oldest kit currently on the SPA Modeler Forum? Copyrighted 1965, and easily from 1965. In fact, the Hase P-51 from 1972 and this kit are both the oldest kits here at the moment....
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

My Monogram Hurricane was from 1964. And if we went thru all of BSY’s & Duke Maddog’s builds on here, I bet they have some older stuff. Come to think of it, Owl’s kitbash that started with the Testors/Hawk 1/72 SBD is older... I’m pretty sure that is late 50’s vintage.

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”