Pactra 1/24 Lotus 30, No. 15, L.A. Times Riverside, 1964.

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
speedgraflex

Re: Pactra 1/24 Lotus 30, no. 15, L.A. Times Riverside, 1964

Post by speedgraflex »

Merry Christmas!

Also Riverside’s Wiki which I had to look up!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverside ... al_Raceway
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes, after looking it up, I now remember the place. I never went there, but drove by it many times during trips out to Palm Desert area where we used to go shooting and camping in the early 80s. Some grandstands for the raceway were right next to Hwy 60, and I remember passing by them on those trips. Not far from March AFB also...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Carlos—apologies for my late reply! I think my notifications are hitting the spam filter (heh) instead of my mail box. SPAM being spammed! Yikes. I thought about driving out to check the neighborhood but developers have created another shopping mall! Bastards.

Some good news—I have had the Pactra Lotus shell soaking in caustic soap for 4 days now and the stubborn orange may finally be disappearing.

DEC 19

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yeah developers are not up there on my list of good guys... too much change to what this are once was. And not for the better in my opinion.

That Pactra paint is really fighting you about coming off of that body.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you for looking in tonight, Carlos! I sincerely appreciate this. Long day, for all. You made such great progress on your armored vehicle. Using rubber gloves and goggles, I took the shell still wet with caustic soap and sanded the dickens out of it with 400 grit (except the windows). I have seen my Dad do this kind of maneuver—he called it “triage.” I call it “getting rid of all that orange.” Plan B would be to paint both sides but then it’s no longer a vintage car. I’d like it to stay vintage. And all eBay has to offer in terms of unpainted vintage bodies is jack and squat.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

DEC 26

Sitting in chemical sludge. I opened the lid to take the shot, thought, “Oh not a bad smell for lye,” then my fingers started to react... (shudders)

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Pactra 1/24 Lotus 30, No. 15, L.A. Times Riverside, 1964

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow, that is some stubborn paint! I love Pactra paint! Looks like you're finally wearing it down man.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

speedgraflex wrote:DEC 26

Sitting in chemical sludge. I opened the lid to take the shot, thought, “Oh not a bad smell for lye,” then my fingers started to react... (shudders)

Finally, looks fantastic and super that the plastic seems not to have suffered. Like becoming brittle or so

I wonder if the plastic (during all these years) has turned, if at all, to yellowish?

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks for looking, Duke and Kari! I was just checking in at your builds, respectively. As far as the plastic coloration, this shell seems to be either a different formula (lexan not butyrate). The caustic soap (lye) seems to be reducing the Pactra orange paint into layers.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You know what, I completely forgot about using metal polish as paint removers. I have used “Never Dull” as a “final option”, so to speak, to remove stubborn paint. No paint can stand up to that stuff. A side result is a glass smooth finish to the plastic afterwards...

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”