Pactra 1/24 Lotus 30, No. 15, L.A. Times Riverside, 1964.

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
speedgraflex

Pactra 1/24 Lotus 30, No. 15, L.A. Times Riverside, 1964.

Post by speedgraflex »

JIM CLARK

His first Drivers' World Championship came driving the Lotus 25 in 1963, winning seven out of the ten races and Lotus its first Constructors' World Championship. Clark's record of seven wins in a season would not be equalled until 1984 when Frenchman Alain Prost won seven races for McLaren. The record would not be broken until Brazilian Ayrton Senna won eight races in the 1988 season.

THE LOTUS 30

The Lotus 30 was powered by a 4.7 litre (289 c.i.) Ford V8 engine, the same type as used in the Ford GT40, mated to a 5 speed ZF syncromesh transaxle which was far more reliable than Colotti transaxle in 19B handling the V8 torque. It used 13 inch wheels and solid disc brakes on each wheel. The Lotus 30 was regarded as unsuccessful and / or dangerous but when everything was working and nothing broke, the car was incredibly fast.

WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA, THE GOLDEN STATE.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Re: Pactra 1/24 Lotus 30, no. 15, L.A. Times Riverside, 1964

Post by Stikpusher »

speedgraflex wrote:

WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA, THE GOLDEN STATE.
Oh yes!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I am sitting here with a plastic food storage box beside me and the Pactra Lotus 30 shell is sealed up inside the box. There's really no reason to take a photo of my current attempt to strip the orange Pactra paint mixed with years of dust and track glue from the plastic. This is not exciting; it is not insert-worthy as the jargon goes in the film industry. Show me something insert-worthy... well—I did earlier. Viewing a candid photo of Jim Clark with a beautiful woman makes me think about how culture—specifically what passes for culture in California—puts stress on how a person looks. I guess that will always be the case, but it is especially true here in Southern California.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Style and individuality was more widely spread back in the days. Not that I really know, I was born in '77. But when I look on pictures like that this impression comes to mind.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I agree with you, Torben. There were also different aesthetics for beauty of the era.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

speedgraflex wrote:....There were also different aesthetics for beauty of the era.
Copy that!

Also an era when movie stars still were movie stars!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Plan B is to use a Chaparral II shell on the chassis:

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Man I do love the lines of those Chaparral cars... curvy and sleek! :wub:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Me too, Carlos! Merry Christmas, bud. You're an amazing model builder and extremely supportive friend. That needs to be set down in writing. Also—here's an interesting collection of photos from the event curated by Getty Images. I am putting this here so I do not lose it. Very important images!

https://www.gettyimages.fi/photos/1964- ... ar#license
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Merry Christmas Bruce!

Those are some great photos. If not for reference, at least for a look at a bygone time. I wonder where exactly that raceway was in Riverside. I don’t remember ever hearing of one. Pomona, Irwindale, and Gardena, yes. I’m curious now.

And thank you for your kind words!

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”