Monogram 1969 Z to SS Camaro-MOVED TO COMPLETED-07/20

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
mustang1989

Re: Monogram 1969 Z-28 Camaro-Body Finish Up-05/20

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks for dropping in Stuart! In the past I've always been partial to the Z's. It's been only in the last few years that my interests have started swaying to the SS look.
mustang1989

Re: Monogram 1969 Z-28 Camaro-Body Finish Up-05/20

Post by mustang1989 »

I've got the firewall well under way and will start working on the brake master cylinder and brake lines in the upcoming days. Here's where I started with the firewall. The "hood hinge" HOLES were a freakin' eyesore!!! OMG it would have ruined the whole engine compartment!!
Here's what I'm talking about and what I started with:

and here's the "after" pic:

I'd rather have NO hinges than to see two gaping holes in the firewall. :headslap:

As far as the grille is concerned. I had two grilles so I cut the "blank" side of the Z/28 grille on one and transferred it to the other grille. In theory..........it should have worked but the rake of the grille pattern is different when trying to mirror the opposing sides. It looks pretty good when giving a casual glance but it doesn't take too much "zooming in" to see that it's off and the grille of this car is a focal point and a "goof" there would give it a "bloody nose" soooooo.........I've ordered another kit in which to not only straighten this flaw out but to mock up another suspension so I can form and run my exhaust that'll be made from solder.

speedgraflex

Re: Monogram 1969 Z-28 Camaro-Progress-06/02

Post by speedgraflex »

Good decision to close the hinge openings, Joe. Firewall looks tight and right with its new finish. The grill looks good at a casual glance, I was wondering about the Z-type versus the SS-type grill based on the reference you posted. The Z type looked like unfinished metal or powder coated in a light gray similar to primer; the SS looked charcoal black / matte black with the only chrome on it being the badge and surrounding trim, the headlight trim as well. I wasn't sure about this being a production model difference or simply the second photo being taken farther away, and shadows were darkening the details.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks Bruce. Yeah, SS grilles are usually blacked out except for minor trim highlights.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

mustang1989 wrote:Thanks Bruce. Yeah, SS grilles are usually blacked out except for minor trim highlights.
Cool! That's badass. Thank you, Joe. Your threads are inspired! Have a great weekend.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Yeah that Grill looks so much better - Nice work. Looking forward to seeing how you get that Grill set up - You're right, it is a real focus point.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks guys! Hopefully I can get a little more bench time on this thing this week. I started working on the brake master cylinder and power booster this morning.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

That's a BADASS Camaro right there!!!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes it is!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”