Monogram 1969 Z to SS Camaro-MOVED TO COMPLETED-07/20

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
mustang1989

Monogram 1969 Z to SS Camaro-MOVED TO COMPLETED-07/20

Post by mustang1989 »

I’m pretty much at a standstill on my modified VW bus build with trying to come up with a suitable seating arrangement and waiting on all the aftermarket engine items that I’ve ordered so I thought I’d throw something on the bench that’s been catching my interest for some time now. I showed pictures of this bad boy last year after I did some repairs on it but thought it deserved more than that…………so here we are a year or so later to do it some real justice.
Presented here for rebuild is my 35 year old Monogram 1969 Camaro Z-28 which many of you will know the boxing of this kit back in the late 70’s/ early 80’s:

I’m going to go through this thing I don’t even know how deep I’ll go with it so I aint even going to say that this’ll be a mild rebuild. Anything I touch can’t be done in timely manner it seems like but I’m going to TRY to keep as many original parts as I can in this restoration/ upgrade. There’ll be some definite changes in regards to the interior as well as the exterior. I’ll be changing up the wheel and tire combo and will stay within the boundaries of a street machine using street tires with some Cragar SS wheels and a mildly upgraded Chevrolet 396 with a single four barrel carburetor to top things off.
Here’s a picture of what we’re going to start with as it sat on my bench this morning:

The options were wide open as there hasn’t been anything in the engine compartment in 30 years now:

A picture of the interior:

Now apart on the bench:

To start with I have managed to come up with another hood thanks to a friend on the forums:

We’ll be going with this 396 from Revell that I had in the parts stash:

Stay tuned, this may take a minute.............or two.
Last edited by mustang1989 on Thu May 04, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 22 times in total.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: 35 Year Old Monogram 1969 Z-28 Camaro-The Rebuild/Update

Post by KSaarni »

Thiiis will be very interesting!

Wouh, 2017 on SPAM has started with several interesting projects, hoarding chips and popcorn.... :-)

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Heh ... my sister built that kit back in the late 70s when we were kids. Yeah, we both did models back then.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

This is gonna rock! I'll be watching this one too.

Blacksheep, it's too bad that your sister still doesn't build. Glad you're keeping the hobby alive.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks guys.

LOL! Tom, my brother and I both started out building and he gave it up after one or two. Me......well..........that's another story.

Say good bye to the paint fellas. Currently in a bath of Dot 3 Brake Fluid:

and I just acquired this yesterday....

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:popcorn:

This'll be an interesting resto - I've always liked the Z-28. As it is I think yourself from 30 years ago did a pretty good job as I'd certainly be happy with that now!

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mustang1989

Re: Monogram 1969 Z-28 Camaro-Paint Removal and Goodies

Post by mustang1989 »

LOL! Thanks Stuart. I've got some glamour shots of her from a year ago in the completed builds section to keep the memory alive.

Wheel and tire selection in progress..........
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

You said you was gonna build an airplane. You primised.

However, this should be outstanding. Sort of like the Gas Monkey garage for models.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

LyleW wrote:You said you was gonna build an airplane. You primised.

However, this should be outstanding. Sort of like the Gas Monkey garage for models.
I've still got my Arado 234 on the bench as well. Just trying to get all the details straight for the Jumo 004 build. Thanks Lyle
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Still on this one fellas. I've managed to strip most of the paint from all the parts.

The body turned out pretty good and still needs some cleaning up. I ended up clipping one of the rear tail light openings at the bottom and knocked the thin strip at the bottom of the opening out so I'll have to work some fancy foot work to get that back in line but it shouldn't be all that bad.

I've got the wheels and tires picked out for it now after a few days of searching.

I started setting up two different stances but I like the second one alot better so I think we'll be going with that one.

This isn't going to be a "numbers matching Camaro" as I'll be changing a few things up to more of a mild modified street car. I'm currently looking for a blank grille with no Z/28 or RS emblems in it. I had 'em on ebay just last night and forgot to visit when I was supposed to and lost it. :headslap:

Stay tuned. More coming this week..............

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”