Renwal 1/25 ‘66 Mercer-Cobra.

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
speedgraflex

Re: Renwal 1/25 ‘66 Mercer-Cobra.

Post by speedgraflex »

mustang1989 wrote:How in the world did I miss this one ? Wow Bruce. This is definitely not a kit that's seen built every day. Rock on brutha!
Thanks, Mustang. I am still one hundred percent to finish the P-51D, but the two wait week for parts (still waiting) is making me crazy. I thought maybe I should just take a break but I am glad this strange project wandered into my backyard. It’s fun!!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Easily, a spaceship and not a car:

Last edited by speedgraflex on Sat May 12, 2018 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Good/bad idea? I had an idea to create the look of the openings in the heat shield by creating 15 small masks from Tamiya tape and setting these by hand over black primer. Once the metallic silver bronze finish is added, I remove the tape...

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

It’s wonderfully calm and quiet down here amongst the other autos... I think that’s good for experimenting and if Carlos and Joe check in I’ll be alright; they are brother inventors and believers in the power of insight an old kit brings.

I pulled my cans of Tamiya Silver and Bronze from 2016 from a shoebox in my closet. They were ice cold when I pulled them at 6:30 am, so I set them on a shelf to warm up today. My plan is to add bronze to about 60 percent then add the rest in as a fill of silver.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Sorry for the delay brutha Bruce. Gimme a color shot of that will ya? I see the idea and it looks like it might be the ticket but the black and white colors are throwing it off for me.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

mustang1989 wrote:Sorry for the delay brutha Bruce. Gimme a color shot of that will ya? I see the idea and it looks like it might be the ticket but the black and white colors are throwing it off for me.
Apologies, Joe. I struggled to decently photograph the car. Due to using spray cans I have the shell wrapped up like a papoose!!

No worries about your timing at all.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

WHAT. A. CAR. :wub:

Never ever seen it or heard of it before. Crazysexycool!

For painting those copper details I recommend AK's True Metal Colors to you. They're wax based and brush wonderfully. Especially for small surfaces a smart solution. And that stuff looks like metal!
https://ak-interactive.com/product/true-metal-copper/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

mostrich wrote:WHAT. A. CAR. :wub:

Never ever seen it or heard of it before. Crazysexycool!

For painting those copper details I recommend AK's True Metal Colors to you. They're wax based and brush wonderfully. Especially for small surfaces a smart solution. And that stuff looks like metal!
https://ak-interactive.com/product/true-metal-copper/
Thanks for the AK intel, Torben. Bringing me gold! (Brass in this case but still!)

Sibona-Basano were coachbuilders for Abarth (Fiat Abarth Monomille, 1000 Bialbero; Abarth Simca 1300/1600/2000 GT; Abarth 1300OT Periscopio Coupe; aero-roof-panels for 595/695); work in collaboration with the US-designer Brooks Stevens for Studebaker; built the Mercer-Cobra for Virgil Exner sen. and jr.; work with the designer Pio Manzu for "Team Autonova” of Germany!

Abarth designs

Autonova
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

DAMMIT!!! The popcorn guy isn’t gone...

Seriously though, I am curious to see where your efforts go on this. The painted vents are a great idea.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:DAMMIT!!! The popcorn guy isn’t gone...

Seriously though, I am curious to see where your efforts go on this. The painted vents are a Reta idea.
:giggles:

There is always gonna be popcorn around, Carlos! I appreciate you checking in, bud. Was it the smell of the corn, I wonder? Actually I just started making salsa which goes with everything just about and tonight it is going with chicken. That’s my status!

Last edited by speedgraflex on Sat May 12, 2018 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”