Zvezda Sd.Kfz 251/1 1/35

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stikpusher

Re: Zvezda Sd.Kfz 251/1 1/35

Post by Stikpusher »

KSaarni wrote:Sorry Bruce not thanking earlier, this project went resting for a moment...

However, re-thinking the camo...

Carlos, who is our living encyclopedy, could perhaps be able to answer this simple question...
As I have learned, most of the armour that was brought to Africa were "factory" grey and they got the sand yellow painted "locally". BUT... What about for example the inside of a half-track, such as this 251/1 ? Staued panzer grey or would also have got a layer of sand yellow ? :hmm:

Would so much want to convert my dull grey Hanomag to something more warmer colors!

- Kari
Yes.... with the following qualifications. The original stuff sent with 5. Light Division was overall gray, later camoed with first mud, and later the tropen paints as they arrived at the units. Later equipment was painted either at the factory as designated replacements for stuff, or prior to shipping. The final stuff sent with units like 10. Panzer Division in response to the Torch landings in November 1942 was painted in a similar manner- the earliest stuff repainted hastily, replacement stuff painted at the time of shipping or in the factory. And some of the Tropen colors were sent to units operating in Souther Russia, as it matched the conditions there better than the overall gray. And one unit, 5. Panzer Division, had originally been designated to go to Africa as reinforcements for Rommel, but was then diverted to Russia, with some of its vehicles painted in the Tropen Colors....
Sorry it was a little more than yes or no to your question...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Oops... I missed the portion about the interior colors...

Vehicles repainted in the field would usually have the troop compartment left in the original color. Vehicles painted in the factory would not, and those repainted prior to shipping at a depot following the HQ directives could be either/or depending upon paint supplies at that time.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

No apologies necessary!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Many thanks Carlos!

Copying Bruce, no apologies, instead was a very good intro for the answer!
Felt like a cliffhanger... :-)

And sounds absolutely good, I really hoped for that answer. Now I can therefore paint my 251/1 in tropen (new word for me) color and leave the internals unchanged...
Now I just need to start to hunt for AM decals... :hmm:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

So after roughly 4 weeks, Sd.Kfz 251/1 is back on the cleaned up bench..

Goal for tonight is to get the left hull side attached with the body. Meaning, some weathering excersise ahead..

- Kari
---
On the bench:

KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Mission accomplished.. Had planned to still do some priming tonight, but too late for that now..

I found some new use for my sprue goo, to strenghten the joints of two bigger pieces. Wonder why I have not thought of this before... Makes a really strong bond!

Here I have added some extra strenght to the front, not that it would have been necessary, but experimenting... :whistle:

After adding some weathering, oilwashes and pigments on the sidewall, was time to close up the fuselages lower part.

And here we are, on the 30th of December 2018 at 23:38 (aka 11:38 PM).

Let's see what next!

- Kari
---
On the bench:

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Kari, the interior looks great. I’m looking forward to what’s next.

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Kari! How did the experiment work out with the sprue glue? Your work looks phenomenal!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Thank you Carlos and Bruce!

@Bruce: the experiment was a hit when it comes to the 251/1. It really made the joint hard as steel (if I may exaggerate a little bit).
From now on, this stuff will be in my tool-box! Not only as a filler, but as a "bonder" !

- Kari
---
On the bench:

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks for the update, Kari! I need to start making a batch of sprue goo. Do you have a preferred mix? I also recall someone (you?) wrote that Eduard’s sprues made the best glue, but I am not sure.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”