'66 Barracuda "Hemi Under Glass"-Kit Re-engineering please?

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
mustang1989

'66 Barracuda "Hemi Under Glass"-Kit Re-engineering please?

Post by mustang1989 »

I'll be finishing up with my 56 Ford F-100 in the coming 30 days (hopefully it'll be before the show on 10 October) and was pondering my next project. I've been really itchin' to do an aircraft build but this Barracuda keeps calling my name so I'm going to go for it after my F-100. I thought I'd go ahead and lock myself into a build thread so that I'll commit myself to building this cool a$$ car.

A pic of the 1:1 version........

and a pic of the kit............

Make no mistake. This kit SUCKS ROYALLY but with a little TLC it can be brought around to a decent looking build. I've got a complete "correct" AM decal sheet to replace the whole two decals that come with the kit and have just ordered a Ross Gibson 426 Race Hemi (which is like the coolest of cool for AM engines) and I was lucky to get it because all Ross Gibson engines are disappearing from all vendors due to the fact that Ross died last year. I'm also looking for the correct size drag slicks for the back which is proving to be a pain in tha............. !! Any ways, gimme a few weeks and I'll be on this one.
Last edited by mustang1989 on Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:24 am, edited 7 times in total.
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: "Thread Locker" 66 Barracuda "Hemi Under Glass"

Post by Thomas_M »

I had no idea that someone did after market V8 engines for a race car kit. New decals, new engine (picture!) and new slicks: sounds good!
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks Thomas! I'll have you a pic of the engine later on when I get home. Can't "grab" pics off of the internet here at work. These engines rock the house. There's a couple more I want to get.....while I can!
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Wow - another awesome car build! :popcorn:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thank you there Stuart!
Here's the engine that I just ordered for it. It should be here within the week....(of course I'll be painting with Alclad so it's gonna look a little shinier than this)

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Is the engine being placed behind the driver's seat as opposed to the front? I've noticed some pics don't show the pipes underneath and others that do. I'd love to see what the main frame of the kit looks like if you can post pics.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

The exhaust I'm most likely going to fabricate from the primaries down to the collectors and the engine is behind the driver underneath the rear glass. The exhaust exits at the bottom on this one. I'll get you pics by this evening/ early tomorrow morning pal.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looking at he real pic, I noticed the black and gold from the trunk and over aren't sharp crisp lines but more so "faded" lines. Oughta be an easy do.... I am looking forward to watching this build.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Tom: Thanks and that paint job around the trunk area should be fun and I shouldn't have a problem at all with the trunk as I'll treat it like a camouflage border. lol

Jim: Thanks for the comments and sorry for the betrayal. :wink:

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”