Project 409

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
mustang1989

Project 409

Post by mustang1989 »

Well folks. For the last few months I've been taking it slow at the bench due to just plain ol' life happening to me. You know how it goes: priorities have to shift for a bit.............BUT...I'm happy to announce that I've been back at it now for the last couple of weeks. I took on a simple enough project to get me back in the swing of things. I was invited on another forum to participate in an Ebay challenge. The jist of it is that the senior moderator takes a kit, divides it up among members and has each member build their part. One member got the interior, another got the body, another got the chassis and I got the engine build part of the deal. The idea is after each member gets through with their part, they mail it back to the moderator, he assembles the whole thing and puts it on Ebay to sell for funding Hobby Lobby gift cards to hand out to Model of the Month winners.

Here's the kit that was selected:

The engine of course is an old Chevrolet "W" engine. The famous 409.

I just finished it as of this morning after 2 months research and building. I added the plug wires, accelerator linkage and throttle return spring ( made from a 1:1 scale turn signal bulb filament) as well as a wire standoff bracket for the front of the return spring to hook to , an aftermarket resin Carter AFB carburetor to replace the hideous "box" looking carb that the kit came with, a PE alternator adjuster bracket with PE bolt heads to mount it to the engine block and generator, solder fuel line to the carburetor, wire for the thermo tube going from the R/H exhaust manifold to the carburetor choke and I replaced the nasty OOB cooling fan with a replacement that I had in the stash.

The results:

I sanded off the molded in battery terminals from the battery, drilled holes in place of them and inserted squared off ends of solder up through the holes. After that I painted it all up, applied the Delco decal and sealed it with a coat of semi gloss clear.

and added some cables and PE terminal ends of my own:

It was a fun little project and was enough to keep me productively busy for a little bit. But now................it's time to make my way back to the bench full time!!!!
Stikpusher

Re: Project 409

Post by Stikpusher »

I just love seeing what you do with you auto builds. Most inspirational!

And of course seeing the motor type immediately brings The Beach Boys song “409” into my head...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Oh wow! Just wow. Whatever I write next will be mush as my brain just exploded with all of that metal goodness and goodies! Good gravy! Thank you for posting! Very inspired and excited for you! What’s next?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Carlos: Thanks and now that you mention it I can hear that song myself. :giggles:

Bruce: I certainly appreciate your comments as well. As for what's next??? I'll be working on my garage till that's finished. We'll have to see after that but it'll be one of my unfinished projects......................... :hmm:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That don't look like it goes in an airplane! Great work as usual.

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

LyleW wrote:That don't look like it goes in an airplane! Great work as usual.

Hey.............it could replace the Argus V-8 used in the Storch you know!!! :giggles:

Thanks Lyle. :wink:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Lyle, there are some 3/4 scale flying aircraft kits that are built around large automobile engines for those who can’t afford actual warbirds... it could happen...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Stikpusher wrote:Lyle, there are some 3/4 scale flying aircraft kits that are built around large automobile engines for those who can’t afford actual warbirds... it could happen...
He's right ya know. :wink:
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

mustang1989 wrote:Well folks. For the last few months I've been taking it slow at the bench due to just plain ol' life happening to me. You know how it goes: priorities have to shift for a bit.............BUT...I'm happy to announce that I've been back at it now for the last couple of weeks. I took on a simple enough project to get me back in the swing of things. I was invited on another forum to participate in an Ebay challenge. The jist of it is that the senior moderator takes a kit, divides it up among members and has each member build their part. One member got the interior, another got the body, another got the chassis and I got the engine build part of the deal. The idea is after each member gets through with their part, they mail it back to the moderator, he assembles the whole thing and puts it on Ebay to sell for funding Hobby Lobby gift cards to hand out to Model of the Month winners.

Here's the kit that was selected:

It was a fun little project and was enough to keep me productively busy for a little bit. But now................it's time to make my way back to the bench full time!!!!
This so cool to follow! Love the complexity of the fairly simple thing, a car battery! But looking how it's made, the clean lines, details, painting... Really looking great!

Looking forward to the car you build around the battery! :-)

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Man thanks Kari. It's great to be back in the swing of things again.

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”