1/48 Kübelwagen - 4 Hour Build (now weathered!)

Here is the place to show of your finished armor products.
Stikpusher

1/48 Kübelwagen - 4 Hour Build (now weathered!)

Post by Stikpusher »

Southern California AMPS has had a tradition of a yearly “4 Hour Build” at our monthly meetings for the past few years. It was normally done where we meet, where you bring a kit and all the supplies and materials needed to complete a kit in four hours. Kit choice is obviously critical. As is the color scheme. I had never done one previously because these were usually held on the meetings I could not attend due to work schedule. This year because of the COVID situation, it was done online via Zoom meeting, so we all had our own full benches with all of our materials. Gentlemen, start your engines...

So for my kit choice, I selected the Africa Luftwaffe boxing of Tamiya 1/48 Kübelwagen. Which turned out to be an almost ideal choice. Single color paint scheme, easy assembly, well engineered. The only drawback? A few teeny tiny parts, which thankfully did not get lost

So anyways, I did not do any in progress photos during the build. As it was, I completed this with basic painting and decals in about 3 hours and 40 minutes... no washes or weathering... I will actually add that this week, just because I want the model to have that. I also did not build or paint the two kit figures... yet... but I will!

So this is what I was able to do in four hours... actually 3:40...

I have not built, painted, and applied decals to a model in an afternoon in probably over 40 years. The sand yellow is Gunze, Khaki seats and headlight covers Vallejo, roof canvas Testors Acryl, and tires are Mission Models.
Not my best work, but hey, it was done in under the four hour timeline...

Stay tuned here for the final updates in a few days...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Re: 1/48 Kübelwagen - 4 Hour Build

Post by Floki »

Very nice little build for four hours
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

4 hrs ??? Very nice !!
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I honk that Stuart would say, “Cracking good build!”

So would I!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks guys. It was fun. And if you want something to pose next to your 1/48 Focke Wulfs and Messerschmitts, the Tamiya Kübelwagen is just the ticket!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

:shoutout:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

With 20 minutes to spare, you’d have time for decals. :giggles: Looks great!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BlackSheep214 wrote:With 20 minutes to spare, you’d have time for decals. :giggles: Looks great!
The decals are there... all four of them... :giggles:

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

That is magnificent Carlos! especially given the time taken, you rocked this. I wish I could have joined this but it started and went too late for me. Besides, despite my many kits; I didn't have anything in hand that I could do in four hours.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

That's pretty impressive to get that much done in 4 hours. Very nice! :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Completed Builds: Armor”