Monogram 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A-"Under Glass" 03-15

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
mustang1989

Monogram 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A-"Under Glass" 03-15

Post by mustang1989 »

I have a Monogram Challenger that I built 32 years ago when I was about 14 or so that is in the middle of repairs. I built it for my little brother back then and then as years went by and he moved from home, got married and had his own family it stayed at my parents house. I took it from my parents house and cleaned it up a bit and glued some parts that fell off over the years back on and gave it back to my brother around 5 years ago as a Christmas present. Long story short it ended up in the bedroom closet covered up by clothes and other stuff after getting knocked off of the top shelf by my nephew. We ended up finding the hood and a wheel/tire assy that was lost for a little bit out of the fall and I pieced it back together. It's still missing the hood scoop from the hood, outside rearview mirrors and the rear spoiler but I managed to glue everything back on and repair everything else that was damaged during the fall. Now before I turn this into a "brother bashing session" let me tell you that my brother is a top notch guy. Its just that models aint his thing. Hes got a wife and two kids and he so busy he looks like a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. With that said, I took the model home and I bought another kit in which to replace the missing parts with. I am going to put this thing back to its unmodified original condition but here she sits proudly once again. I didn't paint it with anything more than a gloss coat when I originally built it and aside from the decals wrinkling, the finish came out PERFECT! The gloss coat was applied from a can for cryin' out loud! One of my only regrets is how the decals all came out. The interior was detailed great for a 14 year old. All you have to do is put a visor on and you can read the gauges. Of course I didn't need glasses or a dang visor when I originally built it. LOL.
Really, it's not in bad shape for being this old.

Last edited by mustang1989 on Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:40 am, edited 8 times in total.
LyleW
Admin

Re: 32 year old Monogram 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A

Post by LyleW »

Visor? We don't need no stinkin' visor! Wrong..............Now I need readers, visor and a mag lamp..sigh.

Nice car. Great finish.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Well.....................................I aint done with it. Initially I was going to just do the hood and touch things up here and there and then the decals were screaming for attention sooooooooooooooooo........................................................

I did this..................

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Knew you could not resist.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

You broke it! :scream:
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Lyle: You know me too well! lol

Paul: Dammit!! lol
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

The interior I didn't do to bad on really. I'm going to leave it as is except for the door medallions above the armrests. I'll paint those chrome silver. I have to knock a lot of dust off that accumulated through the years.

and then there's the IP which I painted WITHOUT a visor. Man ! Those were the days!!! I'll have to do a little touch up here and there where you see some red bleeding through and I have to glue the upper dash pad down to the IP carrier, but other than that it came out decent when I originally painted it up.

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Continued on with the decal removal process this morning. Will continue onto the rest of the body work now that those are off to try and smooth it all out. The more I look at this thing, the more I want to do. Sheesh! What tha hell have I gotten myself in to?

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Yep...AMS for sure.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

AMS?

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”